Ustler Hall/Women's


Originally the University Gymnasium, this building opened in 1919, designed according to the plans of architect William A. Edwards.  Construction was funded in part by the city of Gainesville, eager to complete the structure to accommodate the New York Giants who had been invited by President Murphree to hold spring training at UF.  Florida Pool was built behind the gym in the 1930s.  The gym was renamed Women's Gymnasium when UF went co-ed in 1947.

Women's Gymnasium was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.  It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as an historic district in 1989.

The Women's Gymnasium renovation and restoration began in 2004. In 2006, it was rededicated as Kathryn Chicone Ustler Hall to house the Center for Women's Studies and Gender Research. 

For more images of Ustler Hall/Women's Gymnasium, consult The Gallery
For more information about this building, see the Resource Guide.
Historic Buildings Tour | Home 
Page Author:  Edward H. Teague
Page Created:  15 September 1999
Page Updated:  14 January 2011