University Library was the largest campus building when it opened in October,
1926. It was the last building designed by UF's first architect, William
A. Edwards. When the neighboring Library West opened in 1967,
this building was renamed Library East. Library East became
Smathers Library in 1991 in honor of UF benefactor George Smathers, former
it has been renovated and expanded several times over the years, Smathers
Library has retained much of its exterior and interior character and ornamentation.
A feature of its large Reading Room is a mural, The History of Learning
in Florida, by Hollis Holbrook.
Library was added to the National Register of Historic Places
in 1979. It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic
District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as an
historic district in 1989.
more images of Smathers Library, consult The
out more about this building's architectural style.
Guide to identify articles and more information about this building.