originally as the New Dormitory, this building opened in 1929 and connected
at its southeast corner to Thomas Hall. In the late 1930s, New Dormitory
was renamed for Dr. Andrew Sledd, UF's first president (1905-1909).
Sledd Hall was renovated in 1984.
Rudolph Weaver designed Sledd Hall in the Collegiate
Gothic style following the the tradition established by William Edwards,
his predecessor as architect for the state's Board of Control. It
was constructed by Sutton Brothers Company. Decorating its exterior
surface are numerous cast-concrete replicas of the seals of great European
south entrance of Sledd Hall is often called the Mucozo
Tower because of a distinctive relief sculpture ornamenting both sides
of the arched entrance.
Hall is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a
collection of buildings added to the National Register as an historic district