Peabody Hall

W.Facade (March 1999)
The arch of Peabody Hall's entrance bears the words, "George Peabody Hall for the Teachers College."  Funded by the Peabody Foundation, this building opened in 1913 as the home of predecessor of  UF's College of Education now located in the Norman Hall complex.   It was  designed in Collegiate Gothic style by architect William A. Edwards.  In 1990 Peabody was renovated and skillfully linked to the neighboring Criser Hall designed by VOA Associates.  Criser-Peabody now house the Registrar's Office and other student services.  A statue of UF's second president, Albert A. Murphree, is the focal point of a  courtyard framed by Smathers Library, Criser Hall, and Peabody Hall.

Peabody Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.   It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of  buildings added to the National Register as an historic district in 1989. 

Statue:Albert Murphree, 
Peabody Courtyard
For more images of Peabody Hall, consult The Gallery
Consult the Resource Guide for more information about this building. 
Historic Sites | UF Builds
Page Author:  Edward H. Teague
Page Created:  15 September 1999
Page Updated:  1 October 1999