|William A. Edwards
Architect, University of Florida, 1905-1925
|----||William Augustus Edwards (1866-1939),
a native of Darlington, S.C., was one of the primary architects of educational
buildings in the Southeastern U. S. in the early 20th century. Edwards
earned a degree in mechanical engineering from South Carolina College,
Columbia, in 1889. In 1895 he and Charles Coker Wilson, also of Darlington
County, set up on office in Columbia after working in Virginia. Wilson
and Edwards prospered in Columbia.
In 1901, Edwards teamed with Frank C. Walter. Edwards and Walter's projects through 1908 included many buildings associated with South Carolina's statewide program of public school construction. In 1908, Edwards and Walter moved to Atlanta where they were briefly associated with an architect named Parnham. This firm last through 1911, when Walter left to pursue his own practice. In 1915, Edwards established a partnership with William J. Sayward, and in 1919 Joseph Leitner became associated with the firm. Edwards continued to work successfully from his office in Atlanta until his death in 1939.
Distinguished academic buildings designed by William A. Edwards include works at these institutions:
For more information about William Edwards, including a list of his works, information about architects associated with him, and a bibliography, consult
Wells, John E., and Robert E. Dalton. The South Carolina Architects 1885-1935; A Biographical Dicitonary (Richmond, VA: New South Architectural Press, 1992), pp. 44-49.