Meeting Notes - November 21, 2005
Public Relations and Marketing Committee Minutes
November 21, 2005
- Marina welcomed Andrew Kuo, doctoral student in Marketing, the committee’s current ex-officio member from the faculty/student population.
- Library West Re-Opening – No final date yet. Because of the compact shelving installation schedule, the building may not open in the Spring. The committee will not be in charge of the dedication (John Ingram and Sandy will handle this). We will coordinate the student, staff, and faculty events. Barbara presented a few options for giveaways (bottles, shirts, mugs), and we discussed quantities/types of giveaways. John N. will contact Cox Cable and Brandy will contact Apple to see if we can get better giveaways such as iPods or digital recorders. We will have drawings for these types of items. Also, we will ask local businesses for gifts – Chelsea volunteered to coordinate this. In addition to any other giveaway items, we will also give out small bottles of water with our labels on them.
For the faculty wine/cheese event, invitation will be sent out in the form of thank-you notes. We may hold this on the 6th floor of the building. Tentatively, we would like to hold this on Thursday, April 6, 5-7pm (with April 20 as an alternative date). In addition to our usual PR methods, we should also advertise this event by putting announcements in the college newsletters.
For the staff event, we want to hold it before the faculty event – sometime during the last two weeks of March (a 3-5pm slot works best). We will have party trays and self-guided or guided tours of the building.
- Alligator Advertisement – Barbara presented the “IM a Librarian” mock-ups for the half-page Alligator ad and the tabletop tents. Andrew suggested that if we run the ad in the Welcome Back issue, we need to advertise again later in the semester (students are bombarded with info early on, and may forget about it or overlook it by the time they actually need help). We decided to have two quarter-page ads (one in the Welcome Back issue, and one later on). We also will send electronic versions of the ad to faculty lists early and encourage them to put it into their syllabi and lectures. We discussed the idea of contacting Journalism, Design, and Marketing faculty to ask them to assign class projects to work in the Libraries.
- Instruction handout template – Barbara passed around this template. She will revise this so that it uses the Gator Nation logo, and make both color and B&W versions.
- Presentation to University Libraries Committee – Representatives from Smathers, Health, and Law will make a 15 minute presentation to the Libraries Committee in January. Marina will talk to Joe Aufmuth, Cathy Martyniak, or Michelle Foss to see if one of them will serve as rep for Smathers.
- Videos – Based on suggestions submitted by staff, we selected the following topics for the first four videos we will create with ATTV:
- General Orientation (overview of all libraries, general services, etc.). Paul Victor will be asked to serve as production team leader.
- Using the Catalog (finding/requesting resources, patron tools, ILL, electronic resources, etc.). Matthew Daley will be asked to serve as production team leader.
- Librarians are here to Help (who we are, what we do, Ask a Librarian, etc.). Dwight Bennett will be asked to serve as production team leader.
- Care and Handling of Library Materials and Library Etiquette. Cathy Martyniak will be asked to serve as production team leader.
John will contact the team leaders, and give them production instructions (as provided by Don Loftus). He will also email Don to let him know of these decisions.
- Marina announced that the electronic mailing list for this committee is up and running (“PR and Marketing”).