Meeting Notes - October 3, 2005
Public Relations and Marketing Committee Minutes
October 3, 2005
Members Present: Carol Turner, Tom Minton, Barbara Hood, Chelsea Dinsmore, John Nemmers, Angela Mott, Susy Potter, Val Davis, Steve Carrico and Marina Salcedo.
Introduction of new members: Val Davis and Steve Carrico
Library West Re-Opening –
- No firm date. The committee discussed idea of coinciding events with Read-A-Thon in April. It was agreed that we would create a proposal for a budget for an opening event, targeting the April Read-A-Thon week. We didn’t include any re-opening funds in our annual 2005-06 budget, as this will be a one-time event. The group discussed several ideas related to the event:
- “History of the Libraries” exhibition
- Self-guided tour (with brochure) of building
- Door prizes
- Having Albert/Alberta present
- Have a “building cake”
- Coordinating an event with Starbucks (e.g., free coffee)
- Option of single-day or multi-day event, with most members agreeing that we would want to spread it over multiple days to bring in widest audience.
- The committee will brainstorm these ideas via email and with our departments/other groups and plan a tentative budget at the next meeting.
Read-A-Thon Committee –
Discussed having the Read-A-Thon committee as a subcommittee of this committee, since there is so much shared membership. Barbara announced that she is talking with subject specialists to ask faculty to promote the event and try to get it onto their syllabi.
Library Website -
- Tom Minton reminded the group to send news/announcements to him so that he can add it to the web site (we missed the Constitution Day event in Special Collections, for example). He announced that he is working on having a separate News/Announcements page.
Server updates -
- We discussed need to publicize planned maintenance on servers and possibly provide alternative pages with links to catalog/databases when servers are down. Tom will investigate possibilities and will work with Systems to make sure that any planned server maintenance is accompanied with appropriate announcements.
Update on faculty welcome folders –
- Feedback from selectors is positive. There were some requests for earlier delivery of the packets to the selectors by the committee, but we are limited by how soon we get the list of new faculty. Also, there was a request that we maintain a stock of folders year-round.
- Marina discussed facebook.com (a virtual yearbook for students). We can advertise with text ads for $19/day, paying with credit card. Jana Ronan is using it to advertise the chat service. Marina will explore this further.
Marina reported that Jana wants posters to advertise the chat service. Barbara will handle this.
Chelsea reported that the PSC committee wants photos of the presentation panels we purchased to be included on the Resources Page. Also, the Map Library has panels that we can borrow when they are not using them. We discussed possible Resources Page elements:
- Info Station calendar
- Display panels
- Core handouts
Marina will be absent at the next meeting, but Chelsea will lead the discussions on planning for the Grand Re-Opening events.