|Accompanying Typed Caption Reads:|
|Front: No text.
Reverse: 7 3/4 by 4 1/2 inches, mounted on cardboard. Taken about 1887, by Littler, photographer, looking north on East Main Street, Gainesville, Florida, opposite the present fire station. The white building behind the photographer's sign was the original Gainesville Presbyterian Church. This site is now occupied by the Greyhound Bus station.
The man depicted sitting on an ox cart was a salesman, name unknown. The [donor] stated that the photographer's building later became a Chinese laundry, in which the proprietor hung himself for reasons unknown. During the period this picture was taken the population of Gainesville ranged from 1500 to 2000.
|Scanning of this photo was funded by the E. Ashby Hammond Memorial Fund.|
|Previous Image||Return to List||Next Image|