Public Services Steering Committee
November 06, 2002
Members Present: Rich Bennett, Gary Cornwell, Lori Driscoll, Carol Drum, Jan Swanbeck and Carol Turner
- There was a meeting with Periodicals and it was discovered that the desk upstairs in Library West is not being staffed. Gary Cornwell is reviewing use statistics to determine what hours the desk should be staffed so a set schedule can be developed.
- Jan Swanbeck noted there are staff members in Documents willing to help staff the desk.
- New Building
- The architects are coming Wednesday, November 13th. The work that was done by the Library on the revision of the new building plan was sent to UF Facility Planning. There was a delay with Facilities Planning in reviewing the information and forwarding it to the architects. Steve Shorb drafted a memo to Chris Eastman stating how important it is for the meeting Wednesday to have and agenda so the project and start moving along.
- Carol Turner will check with Dale about the status of the charges for the building committees.
- Carol Turner suggested we do a critical path analysis to give us some direction.
- Dale is supposed to write an update on the building/renovation plans for Library News. Lori Driscoll wrote an article about storage for Library News. It was noted that we need more vehicles for publicity than just our library publications.
- Storage Facility
- Rumors are still circulating that we may get the Department of Transportation building as a
storage facility. Barbara Oliver has been looking at rental properties that could be used a
storage facility in case we do not get the DOT building.
- Changes for A&P in TEAMS
Full-time TEAMS employees will receive four personal leave days each year that must be used between December 26 and December 31 each year, rather than the single personal holiday that USPS employees receive.
- Changes for USPS joining TEAMS
- All TEAMS employees, as compared to USPS employees, will earn 6.769 hours of annual leave each pay-period (full-time), the same rate as current A&P employees do.
- Maximum annual leave accruals for TEAMS employees are increased from 240 hours to 352 hours.
- Upon request during the month of December, TEAMS employees may be paid up to 16 hours of accrued annual leave, provided the remaining annual leave balance totals at least 40 hours.
- In General
- TEAMS and USPS employees can be terminated for just cause. There will be a grievance procedure for employees being terminated for just cause.
- If you get a written notice of non-renewal, then the following is true:
- For people in their initial year of employment, you have the remainder of your appointment period or three months, whichever is GREATER.
- For people with one or more years of continuous service in TEAMS or USPS, you have the remainder of your appointment period or six months, whichever is GREATER.
- Non-renewal can occur without reason and the department would be allowed to hire another into the vacancy.
- Employees will be able to take work related courses and programs at approved universities, community colleges, and vocational technology centers. UF will pay the matriculation fee for approved coursework.
- Each year, fifty children of TEAMS employees will be chosen at random from the pool of TEAMS children who apply for entrance to UF. Those children among the 50 who meet UF admissions requirements will be offered admission to the university. Those who do not meet UF admissions requirements should enroll at a public community college in Florida. The University will pay the matriculation fee, less any Bright Futures scholarship award, for each of these children for up to six years and a maximum of 132 credits, provided the child makes good academic progress and the parent remains a TEAMS employee.
- When a new position in created or a position re-classed it will be a TEAMS position.
- If you are hired at UF on or after January 7, 2003, you will be hired as a TEAMS employee, even if you are a USPS employee elsewhere in Florida.
- TEAMS and USPS designations will go with the employee, so in most cases a vacant position can be filled by a USPS or TEAMS employee. There will be some new classifications that will only be considered as TEAMS positions. A USPS or TEAMS employee could apply for one of those TEAMS positions, but the USPS employee would have to switch to TEAMS in order to accept it.
- Carol Turner will check with Trudi DiTrolio about the possibility of Human Resources conducting a workshop in the Library.
- Intersession Schedule
- This year there is two weeks of intersession. The schedule for December 21st – January 5th was reviewed and approved.
- Library schedules need to be as consistent as possible to help patrons.
- This year we should keep good usage statistics during intersession so we can plan for next year.
- November 20th will be International Day at UF. There will speakers and information tables about internationalizing the UF campus. Richard Phillips is organizing a Library information table.
- Mary Gay Anderson and Dan Reboussin are helping.
- Patriot Act Workshop
The Patriots Act workshop will be on December 11th. Carol Turner will ask Trudi DiTrolio how many seats are available for Library staff.
- Saturday Hours Survey
- Quite a few patrons indicated that our hours of operation are fine.
- Gary Cornwell suggested that Reference hours for Saturday need to be reviewed.
- Library West will be open till 3:00a on two more days than MSL during exam week for this semester.
- Gary expressed concern that the desk is not being covered from 5:00p-6:00p on Saturdays. He is going to talk with his department about possible solutions.
Individuals that cannot provide an id with an address (i.e. homeless) cannot get a library card. Staff can refer such individuals to the Public Library.
- After reviewing our website for copy services Carol Turner decided it was in need up updating. Rich indicated that he had already provided Barbara with some updates. Carol Turner distributed a draft version of how she thinks the updated page should look.
- The committee recommended that the last sentence on the draft should be removed. It also felt that the page should explain that the card is permanent and how money can be added to the card.
- A statement about the Library’s purpose for providing copying service should be included on the page.
- A hotlink to Barbara Oliver’s email will be included on the page.
- MSL will be without water on November 14th from 7a-10a.
- Two candidates, Shawn Sexton and Hank Young will be interviewed next week for the vacancy in Documents.
- Patrons are not using GovExpress.
PSSC Main Page
||© 1999 University of Florida
George A. Smathers Libraries
P. O. Box 117001
Please read our disclaimer.
Send comments and/or
questions about this site to
Last Updated March 4,