and HURRICANE EMERGENCY PLAN
Architecture and Fine Arts Library, Building 597, 2nd Floor
This plan is specific to the Architecture and Fine Arts Library,
Building 597, 2nd Floor. Plans
specific to other library buildings are also available.
Comments on and revisions to the plan are always welcome. Send
them to Dorothy Barrs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARCHITECTURE AND FINE ARTS LIBRARY BUILDING EMERGENCY COORDINATOR
NOTE: The Architecture and Fine Arts Library is housed in
FAA Building. Emergency Building Coordinators for the FAA
- The Architecture and Fine Arts Library's Building Emergency Coordinator (BEC)
is responsible for planned measures for evacuating and
securing the Architecture and Fine Arts Library and for protecting valuable
and delicate equipment.
DURING A HURRICANE WATCH
- All personnel assigned tasks should review plans and
ensure that all persons affected are briefed and that all
pre-hurricane preparation measures are implemented.
DURING A HURRICANE WARNING
- The Architecture and Fine Arts Library's BEC will be notified by FAA
Building's BEC that a hurricane warning has been
declared. The university will be declared closed and all
persons will be instructed to leave the campus except
those assigned duties in the plan. Those individuals who
cannot leave the campus should go to a designated shelter
as assigned by UPD (Little Hall).
- The Architecture and Fine Arts Library's BEC will
- Supervise the evacuation of Architecture and Fine Arts Library
- lock library doors and post appropriate signs
- unplug all terminals, control units, modems, and
other electrical equipment
- move library materials and equipment, as
appropriate, away from doors and other areas of
potential water damage
- lock all internal doors
- evacuate the Library
The Architecture and Fine Arts Library's BEC will report to the FAA
Building's BEC and the Library Facilities Planning
Officer when the above actions have been accomplished and
will indicate the need for any additional requirements
for protection and locking the building.
- The Architecture and Fine Arts Building's BEC will report to the Emergency
Operations Director at 392-1111 following the completion
of the building security check. If telephone
communication is not available, the BEC should summon the
first available police officer to report via two-way
DURING A HURRICANE
- All persons, including the BEC, not required for the
conduct of emergency operations will have been notified
to leave the campus by the Emergency Operations Director
after completing their duties during Hurricane Warning.
POST HURRICANE PROCEDURES
- The Architecture and Fine Arts Library's BEC will return as soon as possible
to the library when cleared to do so by the Emergency
Operations Director. A damage survey will be made and
reported to the FAA Building's BEC and to the Library
Facilities Planning Office. If possible a floor plan with
problem areas clearly marked will be provided.
- The Facilities Planning Officer will then report to the
Director for Library Support Services and to the Director
of Libraries and will coordinate damage repair and clean
up efforts with Work Management Division.
- The Preservation Librarian will take whatever action is
necessary, consistent with this and other directives, to
preserve and restore damaged library materials.
- This plan should be submitted to the Library Facilities
Planning Officer who will forward it to Environmental
Health & Safety. The BECs should report to the
Facilities Planning Officer, in writing, any changes, as
they occur, to the list of BECs and alternates, or any
changes to the planned emergency procedures or protective
measures for their library. This plan will also be
distributed to all Libraries Department Chairs and Office
Heads for further distribution to their staff.
A copy of this plan and subsequent updates will also be
forwarded to the BEC of the College of Fine Arts.
OTHER CONTACT INFORMATION