Creating Item records within the Smathers Library system: A condensed procedure
Most items records for loose issues that have arrived are generated automatically by the 853X predictive pattern in the Holdings record. For item records that have to be created manually (loose issues with no predictive pattern or volumes to be bound), please use the Condensed procedure below or the Full procedure.
1. Open a new Item Form by clicking the 'Duplicate' button of an item record already created with the same sublibrary and collection. Only use the 'Add' button when there are no other issues present.
2. Link the Item to the Holdings record ( if not already) and click the 'refresh' button.
3. ON TAB 1: Confirm sublibrary and collection are correct for the piece in hand.
4. Click the 'Refresh' button, which will fill in the call number and shelving scheme fields.
5. Enum Level 1(A) should be filled in with the highest level enumeration data (usually but not always volume) found on the piece. If enumeration information is not present, add year of publication in (A).
6. Enum Level 2(B) should be filled in with the second highest level enumeration data (usually but not always number) found on the piece. Please note that if binding a complete volume, (B) shall remain empty.
7. The Description field contains text used to describe the piece on both the tech and public portions of Aleph. Using the language of the piece, transcribe the enumeration and chronology of the piece, using the following formatting conventions.