Present: Rich Bennett, Will Chaney, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Everett Phillips, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- DLC is unable to burn DVD's at the moment. We've just received two machines that may accommodate that task.
- Debra will be coming into work at 8:30 AM, leaving at 5:30 PM - every other week.
- Our new Network Coordinator, Will Chaney, has started working in Systems.
- No new orders are in the queue - hold up in Business Services until the end of the month.
- Six barcode readers received - two still on the shelf.
- New ScanJet installed for Library Office, but they are having some problems sending out more scanned items - takes up a lot of space and swamps other mailboxes. OCR will reduce the scan.
- Current net connections - want to encourage liaisons to have a current list of jack numbers and IP addresses for each department. Presently, they are not keeping updated lists of IP's. This topic lead into a discussion of DHCP (which automatically assigns an IP when you log on to a machine) - some must be statistically assigned, pools defined. A single point of failure is the major drawback - it makes network troubleshooting much harder. If the problem is updating IP's, we could use SMS - would need a current version. It would also allow software distribution, provide a long list of info on each machine & allow remote management. If we cannot get the liaisons to maintain an updated list of IP's, we may have to resort to these other options.
Software Projects Status
- SNA terminals went down twice in one day in West last week - only one person noticed. Problem was due to manipulation of the circuit breakers. Doesn't seem like the SNA's are getting much traffic - should be out by the end of next month. The Circulation staff was the most vocal against removing the SNA's, but the appropriate table changes have been made to have the PC operate just like a terminal.
- SQUID server has been bumped up to 128M and is performing much better.
- MSL proxy server timeouts could be due to reloads each morning - had queries about daylight savings time changes not showing up each morning. John Ashcraft thought it might have to do with Centurion Guards, but that is probably not the case.
- Smathers network reconfiguration did not happen this weekend. It will probably take place after the Thanksgiving holidays.
- MSL - currently undergoing the replacement of all the lighting in the building. The 2nd floor will eventually be closed and all 18 machines in the swamp area will be moved to the L107 Conference Room. They will construct a 'plywood tunnel' leading up to the Circulation area. John Ashcraft really wanted to use the wireless system, but that is not possible. Systems will be responsible for making sure they have sufficient network connections - John is requesting a switch & we will provide hubs to feed the individual work stations. The electrical power currently in place should be sufficient, but we need to ask John about the Xerox printers.
- Ying demoed the wiring software to Winston last week, will make a few changes and show to others after the Thanksgiving holiday.
- FCLA tapes - converted by NERDC - Gerald Langford loaded them. Nine more tapes will be shipped from FCLA (their backlog) and NERDC will convert them this week. The use of ONI software had MaryAnn at FCLA dubbing it, "too cool for words". In the future, this info will be accessed via FTP. NERDC is not especially fond of converting these tapes due to the variable record lengths.
- Winston demoed the prototype for GUI for Q&A - just the user interface. It's a live GUI, no database in back & will be multistep. They want to hook directly to the ATC. The data is currently not in tables, so it can't be done yet.
- Cathy in Preservation told Rob Roberts that Winston is working on an online bug spotting database to track what type of bugs are spotted in which areas of the library. She'd like a bug-shaped icon on everyone's desktop. We will probably come up with a folder on a server or something less elaborate.
- Hilton modified the Accounting program using LASSIE & is waiting for the ElasticForm. It's been difficult to order it - doesn't have the required government numbers.
- Lindsay broke her nose playing flag football & is having her nose reset this week.
- Thanksgiving Holiday - Nov. 25-26.
- Bobbie out Monday, Nov. 29.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated November 29, 1999
by Debra Harris