Present: Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 10/18/99
- Network Coordinator candidates begin interviewing this week. One today & one tomorrow - still have not been able to contact candidate #3.
- FCLA orders begin: 2 major orders this month. A 20 Cow order went out last Friday and we can expect to order another 20 at the end of the month.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Announcement #2 - The candidate with the very large resume has been moved to the bottom of the heap.
- 6 bar code readers
- 20 Cows (terminal replacements)
- ScanJet for Library Office.
- Dale's flat computer has been installed. It came with Norton Virus Scan, but we removed it & installed McAfee. If 2 different virus scans are present, they will fight with each other.
- Low turnout at the first candidate's interview today.
Software Projects Status
- Catalogers Desktop/Classification Plus fixed - the application "blew up" when Bill was away on vacation. May have been a licensing problem - it wouldn't work with normal installation. It's working now & should be okay until next April when they run the quarterly update. We may have trouble with version 4 since version 3 has been installed in an unorthodox manner, running from NT2 rather than the tower.
- AFA wiring - will be funded by FCLA money & contracted with either Digital or Gresh.
- ATC/SOMBA (SmathersL2) - an account for Winston has been set up on the SOMBA server, ATC has been successfully tested in single user mode. We will try testing it out with multi-users, but it may be difficult to run NT & Linux that way - will have to define signons on both servers. Bill Koonz at the Health Center is anxious to see it in action and would like to copy the model. Perhaps the DLC could burn a DVD for him. Will check with Erich.
- Delphi 5 & InterDev for the programmers have been received. There were no conversion problems, just some trouble with 3rd party products - Tiff Viewer, Rubicon & CrystalReports. Tsizer only works with Delphi 4, but they are putting out a version to be compatible with Delphi 5 this week. When installing on machines, the BDE has to be upgraded to Delphi 5 as well. So far, the Facilities key program & Library Office's databases have been upgraded.
- Hilton finished Jeffrey Barr's Printer Devices database. It is equipped with a search engine to identify printer stamps that have been posted in books. Very snazzy.
- Rich notes that Caroline will be disappearing soon, Winston says there is only one remaining database on it which can be quickly converted.
- Winston will be meeting with Cathy Mook about a critical Q&A database that needs to be converted. It will be a huge project & take quite a few weeks to evaluate.
- InterDev installations - Suzy had a problem, she would like a test web server - will probably use the old NT4 server in the vault.
- Mil contacted Debra regarding the conversion of SPOT tapes - seems their NERDC account through Geography has expired. He wants to know if they can set one up through the Libraries. Bill will contact him.
- Veteran's Day - Thursday, Nov. 11 (holiday).
- Bobbie & Winston out Friday, Nov. 12.
- Thanksgiving Holiday - Nov. 25 & 26.
- Bobbie out Monday, Nov. 29.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated November 15, 1999
by Debra Harris