Present: Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Everett Phillips, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Net Coordinator - position has been reposted, will try to increase the application period to allow for more potential candidates.
- Everett faired well in his biathlon & triathlon this weekend.
- Emergency Y2K Meeting - the operations plan was re-mediated & certified. There may be a push for a real contingency plan for the Libraries - Bill will approach Middle Managers on the topic.
- Office 2000 has been shipped. Systems will convert first via server - This way we'll be aware of potential problems.
- SQL server 7.0 shipped.
Software Projects Status
- "Don't ask, don't fail" phenomenon - NERDC swapped some stuff - we hadn't heard of any problems. Bill called to check on it & the following day failures were reported with West public printing & CD access.
- Temporary networking moves in West - will need to relocate the server. Barbara Oliver may be moving to the PIO office, we could place the NT4 server there. The rest of the Accounting department staff will move behind the curtain in the Staff Lounge. ILL will be moving next - NT3 will have to relocate with them.
- FCLA funding has been decided - $440,000 for equipment: $350-380,000 range for us to spend on work stations, wiring, rewiring & more. We'll be checking with vendors on pricing: Dell, Compaq, IBM, Gateway. 133's will be the next upgrades.
- NT - Debra & Rich are the only two people in Systems that are not on NT yet.
- NT passwords: David Hickey lost his administrative password - it is possible to be locked out permanently. We will have to configure NT work Stations with more domain control.
- OCLC & Arlen will be moving to NT.
- Hilton finished the Accounts Payable software. He is now working on Travel updates.
- IR database - changes instituted as Bobbie identifies necessary adjustments.
- OPS Tracking - departments are requesting higher resolution in reports: breaking them down by units.
- Mellon 1 - implemented the PerfectSizer - it's doing okay, it scales up fairly - but down poorly.
- Two shipments of Compustat tapes were received recently. Per Peter McKay, these will not be copied. The Libraries have signed a new contract with Compustat that includes a CD ROM with an integrated database of Compustat & CRSP data, called CRSP Link. All of the data contained on the tape shipments should be accessible via CRSP Link. It may come to pass that we will no longer need to copy the Compustat tapes at all. All of the tapes are currently stored in boxes in the tape vault.
- Everett out October 22 - November 1.
- Suzy & Bill out October 20 - November 1.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 18, 2000
by Debra Harris