Present: Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Bobbie Meng, Everett Phillips, Suzy Shaw, Hilton Soto, Ying TangAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 8/23/99
- Bill resigned from NTAC.
- Dona-Marie has departed from Library Administration.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Announcements #1 - the applicant for the Network Coordinator position looks viable on paper. His name is Edwin McMillan, he currently works off-campus but is looking to return.
- Web development software - had one emergency request for FrontPage that was denied, since we have 50 copies on order.
- Review meetings to be held this week & next - looking for feedback on the training sessions.
Software Projects Status
- Wireless networking - have been testing here in Systems. Signal is very spotty - only 2 mhz. A newer 10 mhz version will be out soon - should be more like standard ethernet at that point. It is very difficult to get the software that comes with it to work. The latest version has to be downloaded from the vendor's website. Access points will need to be scattered to get coverage. Special Collections will be the first official test site. The other laptop we've received will go to Resource Services. There is also an antennae option. Need to verify if there are any active lines pulled in the stacks.
- Current discussion on the CCC list concerns the patent on GIF (a format for pictures on the Web). GIF was the default format until recently, now UNISYS has the patent - word has it that they will enforce their ownership, requiring a royalty payment for the use of GIF. PNG format is offered as a substitute. JPG is also commonly used.
- UF Student/Patron Load for the Fall semester has been updated.
- Warren Curry from Tigert called this morning about changes on a Dean's Menu page used by Circulation - he wanted to speak to Rich, but since he was unavailable, he settled for Carolyn Allen.
- Everett Phillips will be out 9/3 @ 11AM - 9/7 @ 2PM.
- Labor Day Holiday is Monday, Sept. 6.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 18, 2000
by Debra Harris