Present: Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Ashley Jones, Everett Phillips, Suzy Shaw, Ying TangAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Grandma Meng - Bobbie's daughter gave birth to a 6 lb. 6 oz. baby girl, Kara Elizabeth, on Saturday.
- It was assumed that Christian Conrad was leaving us this week, but that is not the case. The entire CIO office may soon inhabit what used to be the UF Mailroom (back behind NERDC). The Mailroom is merging with University Printing, leaving their space unoccupied. The CIO move is tentative as of July 1st.
- Network Coordinator - the ad will read that the position salary may exceed the maximum range, as required by the UF Personnel Department. It is necessary to read that way in order to get applicants. We tried to keep the salary range tight, but were unable. The position closes at the end of this week, we expect to see resumes by next week. No search committee is required, hopefully the process will not be drawn out.
- The Recycle workers have not been to the office since June 17th, when they were informed that they would no longer be able to use the cubicle door leading into Preservation. They claim that they will no longer be able to service us under those conditions. Bill will straighten this out.
- 2M wireless equipment that works should be arriving this week. We will return the old wireless stuff once we receive the new equipment and carefully inspect it to make sure it is complete.
- Herd of Cows still expected this week.
- We're trying to arrange for Property Records to come over and remove all of the equipment currently stored in LAC so we can avoid toting it all downstairs to the new storage space.
Software Projects Status
- We will be doing a rushed wiring job for the Digital Library move from Preservation.
- HD's are being upgraded at a steady rate, need to order more.
- IR Database - awaiting Bobbie's input. Needs further review - Bill will take a look. Everett needs it installed on his machine.
- Alena Aissing's SQL Access -she needs to be able to modify & search from her web site - but needs an editor. The student that worked for her is now working on the same type of project for Special Collections, focusing on maps & miscellaneous manuscripts. He will try to have it completed before the end of July.
- MARC record upload - Winston is working on the addition of different vendors & saving profiles. They've also asked for a duplication checker. Bill says not to worry about preventing duplications since the FU loader already does it.
- Personnel IS - has been stable under everyday use, but Carolyn wants some changes - more searching requirements & changing in report appearance.
- Facilities Key Program - it is not accepting changes to a person's last name. Winston is working on it.
- ILL - needs modifications to allow for permission changes.
- Jack Waters requests that we design a database for him using MS Access. Bill says no - this is an inheritance of a failed project.
- Jeffrey Barr is requesting a project (similar to the Special Collections maps database) that can be set up on the SQL server.
- Mellon - waiting on visual additions.
- LASSIE - need to create a box indicating if the copy has a license release or not. Will also want to keep a backlog of changes - recording who changed a record at any given point. This can be achieved by either turning the journal on or restricting permissions.
- Compustat tape exchange - on hold pending the Bill/Bevis connection.
- Jim Arnette at NERDC called Debra concerning a census tape that he was working on for a patron who checked it out from us. The information on the tape is not matching up with the patron's documentation. Debra sent over the corresponding reel tape for Jim to use. Discussion ensued on patron tape check-out procedures, namely lack of TLA numbers when arriving in Systems from Reference.
- Bill will be out most of tomorrow (6/29) at a CISCO conference in Jacksonville.
- Rich out June 25-29 (ALA).
- Winston out July 1 & 2.
- Monday, July 5 is a holiday.
- Everett will be out July 2-9.
- Bobbie, Ying and Winston out July 12-16.
- Rich out July 19-30.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 18, 2000
by Debra Harris