Present: Rich Bennett, Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Ashley Jones, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw Announcements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- The phone in Sharon's old office is now functional. Patrick from Telecommunications fixed it last week.
- There has been a call to tighten up on security due to an increase in hacking & theft during the holiday season. We should be getting card swipes for the interior front & back doors, the loading dock door - & ultimately, all of our interior doors.
Passwords - need to watch internal privileges.
Need to make sure Outlook is completely shut down when leaving your work station.
Doors need to stay locked.
Sign-ons & permissions for NT servers - Suzy is reviewing, access will be changing - may cause lock-outs. Will try to expand user authority to grant permissions. Current NT doesn't enforce disk limitations - path statement at autoexec level has been a problem - sort of distributed administration.
Winston proposes that we do not use general sign-ons on NT's. This would require changes to services - will need to take the time to investigate & make the changes.
- Tom Cetwinski recently announced his departure. He will be leaving soon, a search committee will be formed to find his replacement.
- An offer will soon be made to a selected individual for the Programmer position.
- Ashley has a training session on hiring scheduled with Erika in Personnel, then he will move on the filling of the Repair Tech position.
- Replacement hard drive disks have not yet been received.
- We need to devise a signout procedure for hardware/software tracking.
Software Projects Status
- Criser POP - unsure if it is complete, we have not been moved yet.
- There was another network intrusion in a branch library. Filters prevented the action from success. Bill will be called next time it occurs.
- New mail server - maybe this weekend? The biggest question we now face is how to switch the listserves over to NT7. May need to change DNS pointers.
- We will be upgrading substandard wiring in room 219 West, Resource Services North tower & MSL closet. In the MSL closet, we'll need to change from 400' jumpers - will need to do the patch panels to switch. Will also need tools & labeling, documentation - may require some down time. Cat 5 interconnects, ends & racks need to be installed. May get to MSL right after Christmas.
- The Control Unit in MSL is dripping something - need to call IBM service for it, as the substance could be carcinogenic.
- Ashley found a KillConn command for the Smathers Novell server to kill the 'not logged-in' spaces. It can be scheduled to run hourly.
- Mellon Demo - Erich, Bill, Martha & Winston met - some cosmetic changes were identified, nothing major.
- FCLA backup ran.
- All of the Macs have been removed from Personnel & Sharon's old office. Mac files moved to NT3 okay.
- OPS Tracker - Resource Services began inputting around Thanksgiving time, but then stopped.
- Newspaper Project - LaVerne has the prototype, will migrate from FoxPro to Access when she's ready.
- ATC Standalone Catalog - needs to be started early in the next calendar year - could do it on the server.
- ILL Borrowing - will have major Y2K problems if the conversion is not complete. CLEO meeting is being held today to discuss parallel system for ILL.
- Students will dwindle down to nothing by the end of the week.
- Compustat tapes - awaiting detailed email from Sharon Wheeler at NERDC describing what has been done to the tapes so that Bill can contact Compustat.
- Spanish proverbs disks which were compiled by a Romance Language professor have been delivered to Bill. Debra will make 2 backups and Bill will have the task of trying to decipher the information.
- SPOT tapes - Scott Smith had an email exchange with a salesman who authorized the backup procedures in writing. Geography's writeable CD project is on go ahead status. The media will be ordered.
- Rich Bennett will be out this afternoon.
- Library Christmas Party will be Wednesday, Dec. 16.
- Systems Staff Christmas Luncheon will be Friday, December 18.
- Ashley out December 21 & 22.
- Rich out December 21-28, back December 29.
- Debra out December 22-28, back December 29.
- Bill out December 21-31, back January 4.
- Bobbie out December 24.
- Winston out December 29.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 24, 2000
by Debra Harris