Present: Rich Bennett, Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Ashley Jones, Bobbie Meng, Suzy ShawReview Minutes of 11/16/98
- Discussion on WSID removal proposal. Topics included correct information (such as SN) in the database and the migration of software.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Denial of service attack on NERDC which started on Friday continued through this weekend. Originally, NERDC thought it to be a SMURF attack coming from Library West - in particular, from Marcia Pearce's IP. Fortunately, our switch filter prevents this. Turned out to be a BellSouth mistake in identifying the source IP. Attacks were eventually traced to the Health Center. They did not have the proper filters in place - once they installed them, the attacks ceased.
- Ashley Jones is officially onboard as our Network Coordinator. He has met with the Directors, still needs to visit AFA & Education.
- Software Programmer Position - so far, only 3 responses. Two are not experienced with PC's - have mostly CICS & JCL backgrounds. Winston left a message on the other prospect's answering machine.
- New Christmas tree for Systems will be purchased. The old one we have is truly pathetic.
- Hard drive order (upgrade of 1 Gig drives) - reissued today. Original order did not go out. These upgrade orders will be ongoing all year.
- New staff work stations, SQL server upgrade - FCLA money is not free yet.
- We're trying to keep the orders small now due to storage space problems. Orders will be more frequent & spread out.
- Orientation is complete. The 16 page handout is not up on the web yet because of its size. Should be up soon.
Software Projects Status
- Smathers NT8 is coming up in Suzy's office. It will become a web server. It is having problems right now - it won't recognize the ethernet card. Bobbie notes that 3COM cards will do that - they get confused. NT8 is NT, so it has a different brand ethernet card, however the solution for the 3COM cards may work on NT. Bobbie recently located a 2 paged solution for the problem posted on the 3COM website.
- Mellon prototype is ready - created with Rubicon. Rubicon runs only on machines with DELPHI.
- Winston is working on the ILL/Borrowing - wants to have it ready by the end of the year.
- Special Collections meeting - they want databases hooked to the Web so patrons can search. Winston is investigating the options. Special Collections is fond of VTLS/OPAC that runs at the University of Virginia. Bill notes that "Visual Interdev" allows connection between the web & the SQL server.
- Meeting with Jack Waters - has an AC/MS Access database that he built to be multi-user. Needs to put it on the server.
- Brian Burton is learning Access to be better prepared on the newspaper project.
- Students will be sporadic this week.
- Phones - will set them to ring in the back as well as the front when the students are gone.
- Brian Burton out Nov. 24-25.
- Thanksgiving Holiday is Nov. 26-27.
- Winston out Tuesday, December 29.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 24, 2000
by Debra Harris