Present: Rich Bennett, Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Sharon Henry, Bobbie Meng, Suzy Shaw, Leota WhitfieldReview Minutes of 8/31/98
- Brian suggested that perhaps it would be wiser to change Software #2 from "argued alot" to something more along the lines of "intense discussion". Since the phrase was determined to be accurately recorded, it was decided not to edit for politically correct content - since we never have before.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Tomorrow is Lee's Retirement Luncheon. Debra & Winston will be going to Mr. Hans early. Lunch is at 11:30 AM, approximately 82 people are expected. Lee's retirement is effective 9/17/98.
- Sharon Henry has accepted a position at the Division of Children & Family Services. Her last day in Systems will be 9/17/98. We will have a luncheon for her at the Copper Monkey 9/16/98 at 11:30 AM.
- Rich has returned to Systems & currently occupies room 19B.
Software Projects Status
- MSL mail filtering in place as of Sunday morning, seems to be working fine today. Email stations have been changed to private IP. This is the only method we could use to "unfilter" mail services. Anytime the translator is down, they won't be able to go beyond campus access. All of the other machines in the building are filtered. There are about 8-10 web mail sites that are filtered. They may be subject to failure because of domain name changes. We will try to keep track. If this filtering is successful, we will try it at other library locations. The filtering is done by a switch port. We had to change the frame type for IPX- on the switch it's 802.3 (old way). We may be able to hook the switches together through VLAN. The management domain will be SLIB. The NERDC procedures worked well through the filtering installation, errors were found before implementation.
- Walkups in Room 100 East are expected to be done this week. They will not be authenticated. The electric is in place, the closet was put on the EDC key, table connections are being mounted & they will have private IP on DHCP. It will be translated on domain 128.227, CLASS B should be transparent for remote use. Private IP's will be used for email work stations only.
- Swamp II in MSL is wired & ready for Cows. We will try to get switches - have a good offer from CISCO to be piggybacked on to Housing purchase.
- More fiber for East. Will move switch in Room 200 to the Com Closet on the second floor. Contract provides that the jumpers are included the estimate.
- Sharon installed the demo for Erika in Personnel.
- Brian is working to streamline LASSIE, making it more "user friendly".
- Winston is continuing to work on ILL.
- Sharon trained Winston on FCLA backup. Will train on Patron Update tomorrow.
- May use Front Page for software documentation - would require extensions on the server.
- Student scheduling is now stabilized, only time gap is Thursday afternoon.
- Debra has been working on the Systems web page - new features include LiAson Confidential! and the availability of DiskLog & Equipment Move forms for printing. Debra will post memo to the SysLias list to inform them of the additions.
- Lee's last day is Wednesday, Sept. 16.
- Sharon's last day is Thursday, Sept. 17.
- Rich out Sept. 23 & 24 to Tallahassee.
- Bill out Sept. 23 to a FCLA committee meeting.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated February 24, 2000
by Debra Harris