Present: Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Suzy ShawAnnouncements
- The Network Coordinator position goes to Personnel this week. Expect to start interviewing for the position by the middle of August.
- Jason Monahan should be stopping by today - he will be returning for 6 weeks. He will work in Destry's office - organizing the CD ROMs & doing server documentation. He will also work on hardware as need be. This will also be the case for Scott Olipra, since ordering is expected to be slow right now.
- Debra has posted the phone extensions for LAC & Special Collections on the System Homepage. Preservation soon to come.
- Systems approach to providing service - there have been some comments to the effect that some staff members are 'afraid' to call on Systems for help. They feel as though they are bothering people.
- We need to come up with a way to avoid intimidation with our annoyance.
- Need to not talk down to staff & try not to impose deadlines unless they are far in advance.
- Computer Support people are generally feared & loathed - leave the especially troublesome calls to Bill.
- Winston has suggested the possibility of evaluation sheets - to be filled out by a staff member following the resolution of a trouble call.
- This past meeting was postponed due to the holiday, the next one will be on Thursday, July 16.
Software Projects Status
- IP management for switches in Music & Resource Services are not working. CISCO is investigating, they think the problem could be on NERDC's end or could be a malfunction with the boxes.
- Xerox printing - has been a disaster. It cannot work under NT without an individual sign-on per work station, which is not acceptable for us.
- Printing will now go on a Novell 3.11 server, with IPX on all public clients (for now).
- The software writer has assured us that it will work on Novell. The server will be known as Smathers PS (print server) located in the Novell neighborhoods.
- The equipment is to be set up in our server room this week.
- Preservation - wiring to be completed this week. Feed coming from 2 different places: our server room & the 2nd floor communications closet. They will get their phones at this time as well.
- When it's complete, there will be a fiber run from Com Closet 1 to our server room, which will link all the equipment in this building.
- ILL - Winston has met with David Fuller about the migration of his stuff off SASS. Lending may be migrated by September, he needs to check with David again.
- Personnel - Winston & Sharon met with Tom, Evelyn & Grace for a general info session regarding their migration. Should be resolved by the Fall.
- LASSIE - The request portion of LASSIE should be functional & operational by the end of the month. The prototype is currently installed on Carolyn's machine. Brian is working on security measures.
- Timer Software - Brian spoke with John Ashcraft - he wants to find Win API protocol to determine if a computer is running or not.
- Trouble calls will be routed to whomever Bill designates while Debra is out.
- Sharon and Lee out today, July 6.
- ALA in Washington, D.C. is June 24 - 30.
- Rich will be gone to ALA/vacation June 24-July 15.
- Debra out July 7 - 10.
- Winston tentatively out Friday, July 10.
- Bobbie out July 13 - 17
- Brian out July 16 & 17.
- Lee out Sept. 17-30.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris