Present: Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Sharon Henry, Suzy Shaw, Leota WhitfieldReview Minutes of 6/15/98
- RIR #1 - Memory has been received. An odd number was ordered, there's one stray. There should be enough to fill all requests.
- The number of Cows ordered was 40.
- Destination for the big Color Laser Printer is Library Office, they'll be returning the Apple LW Pro 810.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Winston learned a lot at the NT conference he recently attended in West Palm Beach. He said his head was full - it was a good class. It gave him a "better idea of the scope of his ignorance".
- Bobbie 's wedding reception was a black & white affair - very nice, at the Keystone Heights country club.
- UF has been under attack by a high-level hacker. He has hit 3 or 4 dozen Unix sign-ons. Has been mostly occurring at CIS - he uses our machines to bomb other sites. There are no clues yet as to who is the culprit.
- Destry's position should be posted this week.
- Two motherboards and a no-name case were given to Preservation.
- Epson 850 printer & MicroTech scanner on order for Facilities.
- Two CAD machines have arrived for Facilities.
- The Systems scanner is now installed in Debra's office.
- There are 2 Cows behind the curtain - one if for Library Office, the other destination is unknown.
- There are 4 Okidatas upstairs behind the curtain - they are not logged in yet.
- Documents received an Epson Photo AEX.
- There is a stack of palates behind the curtain which were left by Xerox. Xerox needs to remove them.
- We received 2 UPS - 1 is missing - Lee says the Xerox people have moved it into the server room.
Software Projects Status
- Xerox Printing - Xerox was suppose to have software allowing print jobs to be identified individually by the name a patron chooses to give it. This software is unavailable at the moment, and the stuff they were using to test identifies jobs by the user id. This is unacceptable since all public print jobs would be identified as "Cows 1". Until the software is available, we will have the print jobs identified by the WSID of the computer used to generate it.
- Systems will house 2 of the Xerox print servers. One will be kept in the vault as a spare.
- Xerox staff will be headquartered in MSL - on the first floor where LAC was temporarily housed. They will have work stations down there to monitor any problems that occur to the printers.
- Need conduit laid for the Info Swamp II in MSL. Digital will get the job, Gresh is busy.
- All of the switches have been installed - in the Libraries & campus-wide. All working routers will be returned to CISCO.
- AFA is not on the 100M tap. Will upgrade them soon, need to pull fiber. Education will follow.
- Room 148 (classroom) is not switched yet. We're holding off on that for now.
- Dale needs a longer network cord as she has been moving the furniture around in her office.
- Accounting - lots of year-end work going on. After that's complete, will start back on the borrowing side.
- Have not been working on OPS tracking.
- Helix stuff has been converted.
- Personnel Mac migration - Sharon & Winston are meeting with Tom Cetwinski this afternoon to help them to finish converting.
- Mellon - visitation Sunday, July 12. Our role in the presentation is unclear at this point.
- ATC standalone catalog - need to push this project up in the agenda. Would like to get it going by January.
- Timer software for public work stations - need to check back with John Ashcraft.
- Brian has been working on the software license tracking prototype (LASSIE). It will be integrated with the OPS tracker in the long run.
- Students are returning this week.
- Jason Monahan will be back in town next week. He will be rehired to work on the CD Tower in Destry's old office on a temporary basis.
- ALA in Washington, D.C. is June 24 - 30.
- Rich will be gone to ALA/vacation June 24-July 15.
- Winston out July 2.
- Independence Day observed July 3.
- Lee will be out July 6.
- Debra out July 7 - 10.
- Bobbie out July 13 - 17
- Brian out July 16 & 17.
- Lee out Sept. 17-30.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris