Present: Rich Bennett, Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Sharon Henry, Bobbie Parker, Suzy Shaw, Leota WhitfieldAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Destry turned in his resignation letter, effective June 18. No temps will be hired for his position. We will advertise & try to get a full-scale hire.
- Year-end buying is in full force - Barbara would like to close out by the end of this week.
- The state is allowing personal orders for PC’s to be ordered through the state - may need to watch out for individual orders coming in with business ones.
- Water in the restrooms is brown in color - has been reported to John Humphrey.
- Count on Cows on order up to 45 - some are special orders.
- Two Cows have appeared behind the curtain.
- Four Okidata printers have been received.
Software Projects Status
- MSL is scheduled for the switch install next week.
- AFA & Music can be added easily. The IP’s & Gateways will change. Rich will check on how the Circulation access is defined.
- After the switch in West, a problem occurred with people being kicked off of SNA sessions. We think it was a local problem - the uplink port was misconfigured. Bill changed it on Friday afternoon, no problems have been reported since. The uplink was set to half-duplex, it has been changed to full-duplex. SNA is not routed protocol - timing problems. A sniffer is currently activated at NERDC. If anyone is aware of problems with SNA sessions, it is crucial they are reported to Bill.
- Another recurring problem after the switch install has been the phantom disappearance of the Smathers server. NERDC activated a sniffer on Friday in AFA - could see packet & header was correct - could see lead & end, but not Smathers. The problem occurred in MSL this morning. Looks like it may be CORE network problem. Filters were added to Smathers, cut advertisers down to less than half.
- Will need to remind people of their trouble shooting skills - they need to check out problems before calling them in.
- Smathers hiccuped Wednesday AM. Printers were fading in & out of Novell. We have removed Novell print server queues - all should be on NT machines. No one should be pointing to Smathers for print. Unless someone is utilizing CD’s, Novell access should be stripped.
- CD Tower should be fine. Should be accessible to all. Rich will check on their accessibility from MSL, Friday Census was not available. Some may need updates.
- SAP filters will be added to Music & AFA.
- MSL has thinnet - the switch has an AUI port which can handle it. We will get Gresh to yank the thinnet & replace it. Two machines are PS2’s used for Dialog - won’t handle UTP. Need to find some other way to get the service - whoever is closest to Dialog needs to find improvement.
- We’ll be working on the diagramming of the plugs & connections in MSL this week.
- There is talk of using leftover FCLA money for purchasing more switching hubs.
- Preservation - there is still a problem in UF Purchasing over sole source - money should at least be encumbered by the end of this fiscal year.
- MSL - wall is up, still no furniture.
- Sharon reports that Evelyn has been getting OBDC errors. Problem with the SQL server on NT4 - Winston fixed it by adding a patch to the server. Now it tries to write duplicates. She is unable to input records. Sharon is unable to sign into NT4 SQL.
- Personnel status - Sharon is working on the permanent side.
- Mellon - July 1 Systems will take on interfacing the database to images.
- Facilities - delivered Quickbook Pro to them - Library Office will be using it for Foundation work.
- Timer Software - Brian has spoken with John. He wants an email timer - this is a change from what was requested - now it’s two distinct projects. Need to continue negotiations on what is possible vs. what is desired.
- Bill to meet with PSITE to further discuss log ins.
- Debra received a notice from Compustat (via Peter McKay) requesting the return of tapes checked out on a year-only lease. Originals have been returned, copies purged.
- Bobbie out June 8 - 19.
- Debra out half day June 16, all day June 17.
- Winston out June 15-24.
- ALA in Washington, D.C. is June 24 - 30.
- Rich will be gone to ALA/vacation June 24-July 15.
- Independence Day observed July 3.
- Brian and Lee will be out July 6.
- Debra out July 7 - 10.
- Bobbie out July 13 - 17
- Brian out July 16 & 17.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris