Present: Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Sharon Henry, Bobbie Parker, Suzy ShawReview Minutes of March 30, 1998
- Software #3 should be LIS tracking, not OPS.
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Bobbie, Debra & the students have no NT2 visible in their Network Neighborhood. Apparently have access to it, itís just not showing in the browser.
- Outlook will not install MSD file on Winstonís machine. Bill & Suzy had no problems - may be that it is outside the default directory.
- "Centurion Guard" ordered for work station protection. It is essentially a re-director, appearing as if it writes to the C drive, but re-directing them to the D drive. Upon reboot, it wipes out the D drive. It has a key plate on the back - a key is necessary to modify it. No restriction on files or applications. May consider using it with the staff as well - it would get rid of bad configurations and provide all storage on the network server. "Centurion Guard" runs about $80 each - free upgrade for NT. It fits on the floppy drive cable, basically, it is an internal boggle to prevent the floppy from being a boot drive. It works with any kind of hard drive & uses 9K above the 640 line. Virtual memory is sometimes slowed down. Will eliminate cache being held on a particular machine. It has been available for 5 years - FSU has about 300 of them in use. We will receive about 6 of them in for a trial run. It would be hard to beat this, unless you could get into the case. BIOS should be password protected.
- 57 Cows have been ordered. 20 with 17" monitors for the public. 20 with 15" monitors for the public. 17 with 17" monitors for staff. They are all 32M machines with 2 Gig HD.
Software Projects Status
- Routing problems have been occurring on campus, possibly due to CORE tests. Meltdowns in PowerHubs may also be the culprit.
- The rest of the switch purchase was supposedly shipped overnight last Friday. Has not yet arrived.
- Systems wiring - mix up with PPD - corresponding the phone installation. On track now, work is in progress.
- Preservation - info pack released to potential bidders.
- MSL - shelving is down, wall parts have been received.
- Mellon - still not finished.
- Personnel - Faculty & staff side is still in progress, may be ready in 6 weeks.
- Paula - adding the fire alarm printout button.
- Pending Special Collections project: migrating their patron tracking system off of the Mac. Brian will begin working on this one.
- Baldwin Collection - ready for 10,000 records to be uploaded to NOTIS. Winston will manipulate the records for uploading to FCLA.
- Microsoft Support Contract to be renewed.
- Sharon out today.
- Debra & Destry out April 10.
- Destry out April 13.
- Winston & Rich out April 13 - 20.
- Brian out April 16 - 17.
- Sharon out April 24 - 27.
- Memorial Day observed May 25.
- Bobbie out June 8 - 19.
- Independence Day observed July 3.
- Debra out July 7 - 10.
- Bobbie out July 13 - 17.
- Brian out July 16 & 17.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris