Present: Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Sharon Henry, Bobbie Parker, Suzy Shaw, Leota WhitfieldReview Minutes of 03/16/98
- Bobbie Parker will not be out March 23-24 ( as previously reported).
Ongoing Systems Updates
- It’s official: Destry will be moving to St. Petersburg, Florida no later than July 1, 1998. Starting May 1st, his continuance may be iffy.
- Debra’s band played a "97X Appreciation Night" show this weekend (along with several other local bands) to publicize the fact that 97X has recently been bought out by WKTK and may be changing it’s format.
- Switching hubs are still in Lee’s office. Two 4-port fiber modules were picked up by CISCO on Friday, to be replaced by two single port fiber modules. We’re still missing one switch and the replacement parts should be enroute soon.
- Bill is trying to generate a discussion of the tele-communications conference on the list.
- Some people were offended at being called slackers.
Software Projects Status
- CORE speed improvements noted.
- Cox’s cable modem testing has been rough. It wrecked Bill’s PC, although when it works it is very fast. It is not actually intended for prime time - it is just beta-testing for Cox’s corporate partner. It works well for receiving big files from campus, but the Internet performance is at regular speed.
- Need to speed up the documentation of the wiring since Destry is planning to leave.
- Systems - work order issued for new twisted pair & phones.
- Preservation - knocked some taps out - lost 15 to 20 outlets. Ready for bid as modified.
- MSL - Info Swamp II - shelving is just starting to come down, no construction has started yet.
- ILL - specs are in, Winston is working on it. Users have made some changes.
- Carolyn Henderson - MIS meeting with Winston tomorrow - she doesn’t like the current Personnel model.
- Winston & Brian will be meeting tomorrow about the Software Licensing Database. Bill suggests calling Martha in on this one.
- Mellon - they discovered that they were missing March 1953, will try to get it from ILL.
- Personnel database migration - OPS finished, Sharon working on faculty & staff.
- Special Collections - wanted a printout of database, moving to NT would make it easier.
- Sharon talked to Erika in Personnel about giving up Melita’s Mac - she said maybe one more month. Bill suggests checking by April 1st to monitor the progress.
- Application sharing - individual application licenses change is imminent.
- Debra found the algorithm chart for tape pricing - waiting on total charge & procedure for charging the patron from Stanford University.
- Debra received a call from a patron requesting tapes - he had accessed the information via the Web.
- Destry out today.
- Winston out March 31 - April 1.
- Bobbie out April 2 - 3.
- Sharon out April 3 - 6.
- Winston out April 13 - 15.
- Rich Bennett out April 13 - 20.
- Brian out April 16 - 17.
- Sharon out April 24 - 27.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris