Present: Rich Bennett, Brian Burton, Bill Covey, Destry Fudge, Debra Harris, Sharon Henry, Bobbie Parker, Suzy Shaw, Leota WhitfieldAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Weekend wiring went fine. There was only one network wire - to the RS6000 - that was flaky, & Suzy fixed that on Sunday.
- Workmen are scheduled to return to fix the panel box & finish caulking on Tuesday.
- Systems Meeting next Monday will be held in the Library East Conference Room with Martha Hruska in attendance.
- Students are all gone this week for Spring Break.
- Bobbie Parkerís title has been changed as of March 6 - she is now in the probationary period.
- Switches still have not been received. They have been on order for 4 months now. They are the only solution to fixing Education and getting more IPís. Bill will call Scott at CISCO & try to track them down.
- CD ROM recordable drive for Preservation has not yet been received.
- Laptop external drive still not received.
- Stacey Ruszczyk is requesting more memory for a few machines in her area. Destry will get a head count & check the prices.
- John Ashcraft reported a problem with the 3rd floor of MSL - the Network Neighborhood wasnít visible. Destry fixed the problem - when the sharing is turned on, that machine becomes the master browser. He had to disable the master browser. Destry also notes that they need a new graphics-capable printer over there - HP6 or equivalent.
- The HP6 printer for Personnel has not yet been received.
- Maps - they are using a 6MP printer simply as a side printer. It has an internal network card already installed.
- Maps - they have a Color InkJet set up on a wobbly table that also houses a Cow. When the InkJet is printing, it really shakes that Gateway. They need to relocate the printer to a more stable location. Will speak with Tom Minton to pass the word along.
Software Projects Status
- Cable modem tests are being delayed.
- ADSL - from BellSouth - testing a new system. Must be within 20,000 cable feet (3 miles) of the big switch.
- Special Collections - most of the staff have been switched to the new wire, a few are still on the old due to IPís. Macs are on the new wiring, but AppleTalk is not yet set up on that port - so they canít print.
- North Tower & LAC is completely switched over. They are having problems with intermittent slow speeds.
- Education - 100 Mb fiber will be available soon.
- Systems/Preservation - have not heard back after submitting estimates.
- MSL - HVAC wiring - still no word.
- Library West Circulation Desk - now up & functional. There is one SNA terminal in the desk area. Tomorrow morning the IPís should work & the scanners are plugged in.
- The fire alarm in Circulation was inadvertently set off by hammering on some panduit that was close to it. The pull station needs to be checked, it is too sensitive.
- The baseboard electrical outlets on the cubicles in room 10 are now functional.
- The Resource Services router is in the same location - it has not been moved.
- Winston has spec for ILL migration to MS SQL out on a website for their review.
- Mac-Personnel switchover still in progress.
- It is unknown if Resource Services is finished with Mellon.
- Brian has completed the revision to the Systems Locator for the staff. He is currently working on the studentsí. The Locator is upgradable, it is table-driven.
- Brian is requesting more memory - says he has 16 & needs 32 RAM.
- Brian is also requesting Crystal Reports. Sharon has Version 6, Winston also needs an upgrade. They need to have three copies at the current level.
- Debra received a request from a Paul Zarins from Stanford University in California (request routed through Documents) for copies of National Survey of Hospital Data Processing. There is one 3480 cartridge & three 5 ľ floppy disks. LeiLani has located the hard copy material, says she can send it through ILL.
- The best way of transferring this information would be for him to set up a FTP account for us to upload the to. Debra will email him and try to work out the best way to get him the requested information.
- Winston Harris out today.
- Spring Break March 9 - 13.
- St. Pattyís Day March 17.
- Destry out March 18 & 23.
- Shower for Marilyn & Destry - March 19, 11:30 AM - West Lounge. Marilyn is registered at Target & Toys ĎRí Us.
- Bobbie Parker out March 23 - 25.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris