Present: Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Destry Fudge, Debra Harris, Winston Harris, Sharon Henry, Bobbie Parker, Suzy Shaw, Leota WhitfieldAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- USPS position status - Personnel has informed Winston that he must have the position posted for a week and interview 2 people. Winston will check the job pool and hopes to have a decision by the end of the week.
- Jason Monahan’s replacement: Scott Olipra - Debra tried to get him signed up last Thursday, but since he was missing his social security card, he had to be sent to apply for a duplicate card and to come back with a voucher stating that’s what he’d done. No sign of him on Friday, hopefully he’ll return with his paperwork complete today so that he can start working this week.
- Melita is leaving Library Personnel this Thursday.
- Laura Dumm leaves Personnel in 2 weeks.
- Sam Gowan is retiring soon to make movies.
- Suzy will give a tutorial on maintaining & backing up the email system to Destry & company before she and Bill leave on vacation.
- Lots of equipment was recently surveyed. Departments will probably be contacting us again - wanting to return their old equipment to us.
- Jason Monahan’s machine will be swapped for Sharon’s. His CPU box is more stable - will need to move all her stuff.
- Dona-Marie Mintz will no longer be the liaison for Library Office (she is going to half-time). Stacy Walls will be the replacement.
Software Projects Status
- No news on the CORE.
- No news on the switches.
- No news on the network stations.
- Special Collections is in progress.
- LAC & North Tower - TDL will be in to do a walk-through today.
- Education is ready to be configured. NERDC has informed us that they will have a 100 M fiber available soon.
- Wiring estimates for Systems & Preservation should be into Purchasing by the middle of this week. The digital phones will be tacked on to it - and will go through all of Systems.
- MSL - waiting for wiring estimates.
- West Circulation Desk - Rich needs to submit IP’s to get the table changes done by the end of this week.
- Router moves - all set - will have to get fiber relocated. Will do Library West first. East - unable to do them one at a time - have to do both due to FIDDI loop. Switches may show up this week - all addresses will be across ports.
- Ill - trying to integrate.
- Winston had his OPS tracking demo in the East conference room last week - the prototype was wildly accepted. This will provide a way to log OPS hours - and contain reporting capabilities - very useful for grants & general management. It runs on the SQL server, is multi-user & anyone who could see NT can utilize it with authorization.
- Sharon got her demo to Melita & is working with her input to make some changes. Sharon is now working with CrystalReports.
- Application-sharing - is still going on, but we are trying to kill it. Office’97 will be put on all machines in the classroom for a PowerPoint class on Feb. 19th. We are trying to push for Library Office to purchase an individual license for Office’97. The shared version is now on the network, but Microsoft has pulled the plug on licenses at the end of this calendar year.
- Mail migration - is pretty much complete. Backups at approximately 75G. Personal folders are backed up on the user’s individual HD.
- Calendar software - is contained in Office’97, but the data requirements seem to be a barrier to people using it.
- Ant invasion in room 10 this AM. Call has been placed to Facilities & PPD.
- Circuit breaker tripped in Bill & Sharon’s office - plus the copier. PPD finally found where the breaker was located - in Special Collections, behind the door running up to John Ingram’s 3rd floor office. Apparently the copier was pulling too much electricity.
- Bill & Suzy out Feb. 23 - March 6.
- UF Spring Break is March 9-13.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris