Present: Rich Bennett, Bill Covey, Destry Fudge, Debra Harris, Sharon Henry, Bobbie Parker, Leota WhitfieldAnnouncements
Ongoing Systems Updates
- Bobbie needs the Locator installed on her machine in Room 10.
- Lunch for Jason Monahan will be at 12:30 on Tuesday, Feb. 3 at the Bahn Thai restaurant on 13th Street. His last day is Wednesday, Feb 4.
- Bill recommends checking out Jacksonville’s Lizard Kings if you’re into hockey.
- Ed Teague is having problems with his work station in AFA. Most of their staff have been converted to MSE, only a few problems remain.
- There have been reports of words getting chopped off in documents sent to a list. When investigated, it turns out the person used NERVM to post to the list - and word wrap doesn’t work too well on NERVM. It does not help to send from NERVM, the lists are converted as people switch over to their new addresses. Mistakes will occur, but such postings should work using normal MSE mail.
- New zip drive received for Jack Waters. His old, broken one can be trashed. Future zip drive orders should be Zip Plus.
- Jazz drives are now available in 2 Gig.
- John Ingram - was having problems with his personal laptop and contacted Winston about solutions. Has either a dead hard drive or it is locked up internally. There is a bizarre cure for a dead HD - the problem is usually ‘the stickies’ - you just hold it perfectly flat & twist the unit from side to side. This will only be a temporary fix to get the data back. You should disconnect all peripherals first & close the top.
- Lee notes that one of the Toshiba laptops has a visible crack on the lid. We’ll let it go for now as it does not effect the structural integrity.
- There is a video conference on OCLC scheduled for this Thursday - Bill may require all of the Liaisons to attend in place of this week’s Liaison Meeting.
Software Projects Status
- Have not received the switches yet.
- Need to extend the parking permits for the wiring crew for another 2 weeks.
- Education - Gresh still not finished with the job, have not heard from him - Bill will make contact.
- CORE developments - lots of instability this weekend. Routers were up & down, etc. There is still some 10M UFNet priority stuff being found & updated. Right now we’re on our own private FIDDI loop, but when we’re on the CORE we’ll more likely be effected by these type of problems.
- No news on the network work stations.
- Special Collections should be ready to move - need to inform Susan Lupi they’re ready to fly.
- Special Collections will be piggy backing on our wiring for their phones. Staff will have one wire for phones, one wire for the computer. Patch panel for the phones will go in the 2nd floor cabinet area. Our wiring can handle digital wiring & computers. Staff will have a jack for phones & a jack for the computer - they will look identical, but are NOT to be mixed up. Will need to emphasize to staff not to move the patch panels around - we’re saving money, but are more subject to user disasters.
- MSL - were supposed to get electrical & HVAC estimates last week - have not received any word.
- West Circulation desk - no word.
- ILL/Accounting migration - Winston is working on it. Status unknown.
- Sharon working on migrating Personnel staff from Macs to the SQL server.
- Winston Harris has the OPS tracking prototype ready for demonstration at the TSMG meeting on February 10th.
- Mellon - data entry is on the verge of completion.
- Application sharing is happening, but the cost of individual work station software is down - it may be more cost effective to go with that.
- MSL is setting up a folder for public work station software.
- Debra asks that with the move of students & staff out to room 10, we all be more diligent in using the Systems Locator. Bill notes the Locator will soon undergo changes in format.
- Winston Harris out today.
- Suzy Shaw out all of this week.
- Martha is out all this week.
- Bill & Suzy out Feb. 23 - March 9.
- Spring Break starts March 9.
Back to the Systems Homepage
Last updated March 7, 2000
by Debra Harris