Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117000
Gainesville, FL 32611-7000

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
March 13, 2012

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Chris Case, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Mike Tyler

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Departure - Logan has accepted a new position with CNS. His last day is Friday, March 22. Amy will be taking over his duties.
  2. Gus is new to the IT Department. Today is his first official staff meeting.
  3. Appraisals dues to HR on March 23.
  4. Spring Picnic - Friday, March 30. Please have tickets to Will by the end of today.
  5. Leave spend down - plan early.
  6. Discussion of budget cuts - 3-5%, 5% more likely. Positions to be filled likely to be put on the table.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. App Streaming - the Acrobat issue is most likely solved, but there are conflicts when it runs with Contribute. Working on a solution. Need to upgrade agents on client computers.
  2. Staff migration - AFA, Cataloging and LAC are complete. ALF, Maps and Judaica are awaiting scheduling. We ran into compatibility issues with ergonomic devices in Cataloging. .Net framework corruption issues. Need to fix that issue in the image before proceeding further.
  3. AV - received demo mics for 1A. Podium mic is short, but has a better range. Lapel mics need adapter.
  4. 1A - phone in the cabinet runs through the computer. CNS needs to close that closet, but the phone is on that switch.
  5. VDI - project on hold, awaiting decisions by academic Technology. Will is going to give them a call. Rachel/Judy would like an overall timeline.
  6. Microfiche readers - Special Collections to order a new CPU.
  7. Iliad 8.2 upgrade went smoothly - with Privilege Authority.
  8. Journalism is being renovated - the library staff equipment will move to MSL and the public equipment will need a space to be stored.
Software
  1. Kauli OLE - roadmap for 0.6-0.8 release. Priority - trying to ramp up Developer. Next week - training for rules enforcement. .06 to be released in April-May. .08 - July-September, possibly before the Kaule Days workshop. Testing to be done here at UF to see how it integrates.
  2. Print Journal Inventory Tracking - we've been meeting regularly with Cathy Martyniak and have about 70% of the requirements. Security levels are left to do. Functionality is mostly covered.
  3. ASERL Gap Analysis - Tom has finished the first phase. The program is up and functioning. Mods to admin app. Next: improving error handling ability.
  4. Patron Update - Switching data sources to new Enterprise system - Chris got it mostly laid out. Will need to reboot SQL server.
  5. Macros - 1 for Acquisitions. Looking at Macro Express installs. DLC/Preservation uploads for Hathi Trust - looking at requirements.
  6. Exploring the use of Macro Express with OLE. Probably can use; Java script might be more appropriate.
  7. Ares-Sakai authentication - good info from Atlas. Imported cross-walk table. 1400 accounts not Gatorlink identified.
  8. Broadcast to Public Computers tool - awaiting Evan's approval.
Network/Server Administration
  1. New servers: EPO - Hardware use. QC - DLC. Increasing resources on UFDC's Web3.
  2. Voicemail to email - group populated today. Flipping the switch on Friday.
  3. Lenel video server - waiting for UFPD to respond.
  4. ILS - FCLA + CCLA = FVC - Florida Virtual Campus. May move to Tallahassee?
Web & Digital
  1. ALADN/Listserv instructions and automation are live. Might try to automate the unsubscribe process.
  2. Panama Canal Museum - Web site migration - downloaded all files. Just going to screen scope their HTML for the Wall of Honor. Looking at the online store.
  3. CMS - no decision yet. Would be surprised if it ends up being WordPress. It's too vulnerable.
  4. Contribute keys - Mark has been doing a lot; also, documentation.
  5. Survey Monkey - may empower faculty to be able to create their own.
  6. Digital: FCLA implementation of SobekCM/Islandora - 24 month migration.
  7. Retrospective Dissertation Scanning Project is going well.
  8. Djatoka does not work with grey scale. Have to import Djatoka.NET.
  9. DLC-to-Hathi Trust - Working with Michael Jay.
  10. New version of SMaRT tool released (v3.04).
  11. Released C# Marc library to open-source.
  12. Digital Humanities Projects - Mark met with Emory for the Digital Humanities Projects un-conference.