Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117000
Gainesville, FL 32611-7000

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
November 15, 2011

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Chris Nicolich, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. Open Enrollment Nov 7-18.
  2. Judith Roberts orientation on Nov. 17. Will be discussing training needs and introducing her to the department.
  3. Digital Development Unit - created Nov 11, 2011. Mark Sullivan will supervise/manage. We will post and interview for the following positions: one Digital Services Programmer, one Web Designer and one Web Programmer. New IT Org Chart reviewed.
  4. Shruti's husband accepted a job in Boston and she will be moving at the end of December.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. App Streaming - waiting on Software Licensing Services to process the Adobe order.
  2. Migration - West Circulation tentative for next week. New switches to be ordered for Netbook carts.
  3. AV - Room 1A rack is complete. AVI meeting scheduled to discuss new equipment purchase.
  4. VDI Project - thin client testing to start tomorrow.
  5. Imaging - reboot testing complete. We cannot reproduce the time lag reported by the Librarians.
  6. Smart Control - NIC issues fixed by Chris' software. It runs as a task.
  7. Privilege Authority - working on policies.
  8. Netbooks - log on takes 4 minutes.
  9. New WLAN tested and working. Deploying to MSL.
  10. Printing changes - 64 bit drive for public. Code for staff departmental printers.
  11. Josh started PGP testing.
  12. Evan is researching the Way-Finding system.
Software
  1. Jeff Lazja/Rob Roberts email problem resolved. The issue was a setting in Rob's email, not Jeff's.
  2. Kuali OLE - Chris and Rachel are attending Kuale Days.
  3. DLC-UFDC/Sobek - meeting with the Deans to discuss FCLA.
  4. Film Tracker - back burner.
  5. ASERL Gap Analysis - Shruti is now familiarizing Tom with this project.
  6. Print Journal Inventory Tracker - Chris and Winston are working on it.
  7. Macros - midway through three.
  8. ARES-Sakai authentication - ongoing.
  9. Graham papers data conversion - Winston.
  10. Circulation switch to "Library Guest" accounts - Winston to meet with Circ folks to discuss the issue.
  11. Stacey Ewing requested a tool to broadcast messages to the public machines.
Network/Server Administration
  1. Media server configuration is now an active project. It will be used to encode videos. It should be ready in a few more weeks.
  2. New departmental VPN rolled out. Testing - not in place yet.
  3. ESX test server - CNS to host. No charge if attached to Elias' unit.
  4. ALADN - need to move on it this week.
  5. Lynda.com - check it out for training. Access the site through: http/it.ufl.edu/training.
  6. New Red Hat web app server - will host Wordpress and other projects.