Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117000
Gainesville, FL 32611-7000

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
October 18, 2011

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. Cake next week.
  2. TSS last week - golf cart proposal under consideration, unsure if it will be approved.
  3. Holiday Party December 8, 11:30AM-1PM. Retro theme - planners are asking that staff members bring in pictures of themselves in holiday settings. There will be a White Elephant, potluck and gifts to be purchased for the Holder family children.
  4. Training needs - HR is inquiring as to staff training needs.
  5. IT Directors meeting notes have been distributed via email.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. App Streaming - we are packaging DLC common software. Trish is working to package an image for DLC. Looking beyond the licensed software.
  2. Migration - West Netbooks - Dell is replacing the cart. It will have full docking capabilities, but only hold 24 laptops. Pat Reakes says this is okay. Trying to get an extra year warranty for the Netbooks that overheated.
  3. AV - Digital Signage: Evan is working with GovConnection, getting quotes for 2 displays on West and 2 in MSL.
  4. VDI - last two Dell thin clients are on the way. Should be here soon. Will start testing upon arrival.
  5. Revisiting public image - Evan to meet with Branch Chairs tomorrow to discuss language packs.
  6. Smart Control - MSL laptops - issue with hacking. West Netbooks - issue with logging on to both wireless and wired networks.
  7. Privilege Authority - trying to get it working so that users can update software without having admin rights. Right now, it is breaking the DSN (SQL). Winston has given our test account access to the Green Monster for troubleshooting.
  8. 1A rack - installation date set for November 1, per Facilities. They are currently gutting the back wall, installing new cabinetry.
  9. MSL 107 - awaiting audio codec.
Software
  1. Document disposition database - working on one of the last procedures - updating institutional info.
  2. OCR Automator fix - Tom is working on it.
  3. Kuali OLE - Chris is involved with various committees. Working on the roadmap.
  4. DLC-UFDC/Sobek - Mark is in Seattle - Visual Studio Live.
  5. Film Tracker - Chris is working on it.
  6. Storage Gap tracker - we are meeting next week to work on requirements.
  7. Macros - working to correct Electronic Resource Unit's link checker due to gap created when Jessica York left the department.
  8. ARL Stats - we are getting the final mods in place today. It will be used today. Tom Minton will report his statistics for the last time for the Web Unit.
  9. ASERL Gap Analysis - waiting for info.
  10. DLC-to-Hathi Trust format and workflow tools - Mark is working on it.
  11. ARES-Sakai authentication - Michael Jay is working on getting Shibboleth to authenticate.
Network/Server Administration
  1. New server for OLE project - code testing.
  2. West wireless - access points upgraded on 2nd and 3rd floor. No new problems reported.
  3. East wireless - no word, need to find out if they are finished with the install.
  4. MSL wireless - holds laptop credentials for an hour. Retains personal info. Matt Grover to spin up WLANS.
  5. VDI - good to go. Limited testing will begin this week.
  6. ALADN website/list move - ALA development network. Site is Drupal. We'll either take it in and host, or migrate to something else.
  7. Local GitHub server install for code management for Mark's Sobek project.
  8. Blog server - upgrade and security tweaks.
  9. ILS - all is well.
  10. Logan contacted the guy from PeopleCube for the PeopleCounter.
Web Projects
  1. Multi-university survey - PDFs of the final version of the survey submitted.
  2. FEFDL site - templates sent out, pages cleaned up.
  3. Migration of Records Management site - waiting on Carl and Rich.
  4. Morae usability software and the hardware in room 419 Smathers - software redistributed. Need to store the hardware in West 317.