Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content

Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117000
Gainesville, FL 32611-7000

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
August 30, 2011

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Mike Tyler

Guest: Rachel Schipper
  1. Cynthia is off to DragonCon tomorrow!
  2. No word on VIVO. If nothing happens by tomorrow, it's gone.
  3. UF Strategic Plan - review and discuss at next IT staff meeting.
  4. New IT Training available: is an online training resource partner of UF.'s online training library has over 1,100 courses, ranging from Web development, animation, and video graphics to courses in business software and Microsoft SharePoint training. Click on the logo to access the University of Florida log-in.
  5. AFA/Music move - on hold.
  6. Eclipse storage building on Waldo Rd - roommate will probably be Miami.
Ongoing IT Updates

  1. Altiris - PXE issues in MSL. Everything there has been reimaged. We are looking to redesign the Altiris server infrastructure to correct ongoing issues.
  2. Application streaming - coordinating conference call with Symantec, open systems, and IT to install into production environment.
  3. Public migration - complete.
  4. West Netbooks - issue with cart and charger. Cart will not fit 32 Netbooks with 6-cell batteries, only 24. We are negotiating this matter.
  5. Re-imaging new staff machines to latest staff revision image. 745 staff image in testing.
  6. Printing - print server change for laptop printing is complete. No issues reported. Working on directions for patron laptop printing. Will open a ticket with Web folks to post when complete.
  7. MSL107 - room adjustments to be made by AVI.
  8. 1A - equipment to be reconfigured.
  9. MSL208 - equipment purchased today.
  10. Evan contacted UF Helpdesk regarding Remedy - they said to check back in a year.
  1. Document disposition database - large demo Thursday. Center of Excellence with more data may be rolled out on Friday, if there are no objections.
  2. Kuali OLE - Rachel and Chris are working on Tiger Teams. Coders need info by December. Kuali Days held in November in Indianapolis.
  3. DLC - Making small changes to the website - nothing major.
  4. Hathi Trust access through Shibboleth - Will and Winston to meet with Warren on Thursday. Attributes should be released on Sunday. Matthew got access to Hathi Trust analytics.
  5. Library Hours - done. Right now, Tom updates the info. Talk to Lela about maintaining it. Offer training.
  6. Macros - finished 2, 2 ongoing.
  7. ARL Stats - Tom and Michael are working on an additional HSCL site.
  8. Candidate Assessment - working on allowing use by non-Library folks.
Network/Server Administration
  1. Prime OCR box in East died. Need to find a new machine to put it on.
  2. GIS data - 60GB of data will be housed locally and needs authenticated access.
  3. MSL networking issues - will test with CNS this week.
  4. Open source ERM tool for Acq/Cat - Linux based, will be installed this week.
  5. VIVO - we still have management of the servers.
  6. ILS - Cynthia is wrapping up her tickets before DragonCon.
  7. People Counter - funding has been approved.
Web Projects
  1. FEFDL meeting last week - Jan like 4 of the 5 designs. Need to decide on functionality.
  2. 3 new surveys.
  3. Worked on the Bookplate carousel.
  4. LBGT collection underway.