Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
May 10, 2011

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Mike Tyler, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. Fiscal Year Deadlines: May 27 - last day for PO's and PCard purchases from out-of-state vendors. June 10 - Pcard from in-state vendors. June 17 - Travel Expense reports.
  2. Will wanted to highlight this paragraph from President Machen's email: "Developing shared, university-wide service centers that pool human resources, finance, information technology and administrative functions for multiple units".
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. Altiris had a name resolution problem. The box stopped completely with the SQL Altiris instance. We tried the fully qualified name and it worked.
  2. Public WIN7 migration - waiting to hear back from them soon regarding refund. We will be going with Centurion Smart Shield for security. It protects the master boot record. Need to put in a ticket for the purchase of the security software.
  3. Altiris import jobs - fixed. Turned out an apostrophe in Grover broke the job.
  4. Departmental software testing will hopefully start this Friday. We have not heard back from all department heads.
  5. West checkout laptops will not run WIN7. 28 total, including faculty. HR Training room will not work with WIN7, either.
  6. Print management - new print management tool demoed by Josh.
  7. Group Policy - Trish, Evan, Josh and Logan are meeting to review policies.
  8. GovDocs plotter - maintenance kit to be ordered today. Tech to be dispatch when it arrives.
  9. Tech room guides updated. 1A this week.
  10. Library West study rooms - 8 in West, 2 in MSL. 4 rooms have been completed, West should be finished tomorrow. Wednesday/Thursday - MSL. Looks good. West 142 - Brad needs to move an outlet.
  11. We intend to populate the SharePoint site with WIN7 and O2K10 info.
  12. Evan is meeting with the Deans in MSL107 to review room options.
  13. Education video cart - has started arriving in various shipments.
  14. Help Desk - Diana is on board for the summer. Only had one other applicant, is not Work Study.
Software
  1. Recruitment Study - looking for temporary Java programmer. Moving reports to a permanent location. Load new SurveyGizmo data to reports.
  2. Document Disposition database - ongoing. More institutions are embracing it. Tom is working on a needs list. Need to allow editing and auto claim.
  3. Kuale OLE - 2 interviews last week, 1 this Friday.
  4. ITS - Shruti got all the changes made before she left.
  5. Macros and FilmLog on hold, pending Recruitment Study.
DLC General Issues
  1. Migration to Solr/Lucene complete. Completely off Greenstone.
  2. UFDC v.3 major version release.
Network/Server Administration
  1. SharePoint - stable.
  2. VIVO - hand-off meeting scheduled for Thursday.
  3. MS Forefront - configuration done.
  4. DHCP - in progress; reauthorizing IPs for circ. Need list from Evan.
  5. CNS infrastructure - need to get them moving.
  6. Wireless repeaters for 1A - Logan to call back at the beginning of June to get quote.
  7. People Counter - IP's (minus 3 from HSC) delivered to vendors.
  8. New PHP servers up - need to migrate blogs over.
  9. Co-location move - on hold. Need to check with Bill Hanssen about surveyed items.
ILS
  1. No issues.
Web Projects
  1. Nothing new.