Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content

Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
April 26, 2011

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Mike Tyler, Evan Wack

Guest: Rachel Schipper
  1. Florida Library Association next week in Orlando - May 4, 5 and 6. May be relevant for some here - computing and usability. Cost varies.
  2. Annual Technology and Support Services meeting will be held on July 19, 8:30AM-12PM. Project managers will help facilitate.
  3. Rob Roberts' retirement party - June 27, 2-4PM.
  4. Picnic this Friday, April 29 - Will to pick up and distribute the tickets.
  5. UF Wireless security checks start May 1. Only affects Windows-based computers. Does not impact users connecting via VPN. It will check for updated antivirus and Windows security updates. The security check process begins on May 1, 2011. During Summer A, your computer will be allowed to connect even if it fails the security checks. However, if your computer does not have either Java or ActiveX controls installed, the security checks cannot run and your computer will be unable to connect to the UF wireless network. Starting July 10, 2011, your computer will only connect to the UF wireless network if it passes security checks. Mobile phones are unaffected by these changes. The security process is similar to checks performed on the Housing and Residence Education network and the HSC network. To help set up your computer to pass the security checks, UF is providing a software application called CloudPath Xpress Connect that will configure your computer properly to run the security checks. If you run into problems, the UF Computing Help Desk is available to assist with the new wireless security check process. Call or email the Help Desk at: (352)392-HELP (4357) or
  6. The UF Undergraduate Catalog moved to SharePoint:
Ongoing IT Updates

  1. Clean Slate deadline has passed. We are now testing Deep Freeze and Centurion Smart Shield. Smart Shield protects the master boot record. Clean Slate does not function when users have admin rights. We may need to revisit this issue. If our users did not have to be admins, Clean Slate would be the preferred product. Will to discuss the topic at Library Council this week. Will to tell Misty to put it on the agenda.
  2. Altiris - import job is still failing. We are configuring the barcode solution.
  3. Room guides - Mike is updating the rooms that had changes. We should have 1A by next week. Rachel suggests we send a summary email about the tech room guides upon completion.
  4. Archivist Toolkit - Logan hoped to put it on a standard SQL box, but it has to go on SQL Express.
  5. GovDocs plotter - it has been down for a month and a half. Need to get a price on a new one as well as a maintenance kit plus service contract. This will assist in determining whether it is worth fixing or just buy a new one.
  6. Departmental printer mapping - done.
  7. LAC East 406 - surveyed items removed.
  8. Education video cart - PO has been cut.
  9. Help Desk - Diana is returning for the summer semester. No one has applied yet to the posted Work Study position.
  1. Recruitment Study - rudimentary pass at security.
  2. Document disposition database - Phase II will be in the works for a couple more weeks.
  3. Kuale OLE - three candidates scheduled for face-to-face interviews.
  4. Shruti's last day before maternity leave is May 5.
  5. ITS - may have some additional changes.
  6. CRS - trying to pare system down to the required functions.
  7. Library Hours - Shruti is finished with the suggestions from Tom.
DLC General Issues
  1. Migration to Solr/Lucene is going well. New version to use indexes will be out tomorrow. Should be off Greenstone by Thursday morning.
  2. FilmLog - Bobby Parker wants to revisit. Winston gave him a list of things to consider.
Network/Server Administration
  1. SharePoint - more training classes scheduled. Had a request for more specialized training for the Circ Manual.
  2. VIVO - spoke with Stephen Williams, they should be shutting down old VMs in the next two weeks. Meeting scheduled for this Thursday.
  3. MS Forefront and SCOM - getting there. We are debating the use of SCOM 2012. It is in beta; we would have to move from beta to live.
  4. Server room - survey list submitted. Co-location move scheduled for the week of May 2. Need to figure out a plan for DevApp and EPO.
  5. DHCP - in progress.
  6. CNS infrastructure - ballpark quote for DLC/Storage location.
  7. Wireless repeaters for room 1A - under discussion.
  8. People Counter - IP assignment in process. Have all except HSCL. Issue with VetMEd - won't give out IP without being given MAC address. Borland is done.
  9. New PHP/MySQL/Tomcat server - Dev and Prod are deployed. Config in process.
  1. Cynthia is out for a week.
Web Projects
  1. Study Room Reservations - extended hours are ending. Will work on it for next exam period.
  2. Catalog log-in shift to Gatorlink - asking Branch Chairs.
  3. FEFDL - still designing.
  4. Web position - committee interviewed 4 candidates last Friday. Hopefully we can come up with a successful candidate.