Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
April 5, 2011

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mike Tyler, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. Monthy IT Update will be held tomorrow, Wednesday, April 6 at 10AM in room 1A.
  2. Spring picnic - April 29 - tickets can be given to Will and he will send them into HR.
  3. Logan's tarp roof did not leak, even with all this rain.
  4. India won the cricket world cup for the first time in 28 years. They beat Sri Lanka.
  5. Matthew's ACRL zombie poster won first prize.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. Public Win7 migration - new Clean Slate build did not work. Deadline still set for April 20. We will start testing Deep Freeze before then.
  2. Group Policy at ECOB - We've had instances of it not applying correctly out here. It often takes a day or two for the policy to apply. It applies immediately on campus.
  3. Altiris - Asset Manager - is up and running, but there is an issue with importing info from Grover. We are waiting from a callback from Symantec.
  4. West Group Study Rooms - waiting on PO.
  5. MSL 308 - projector for Smart Board to be installed on Wednesday.
  6. Education video cart - waiting on PO.
  7. New microform machines have all been installed. Training set for Thursday, April 7. We have two old machines up for grabs, if anyone wants them.
  8. Tech room guides - East conference room and 1A left to do. Once the 1A guide is complete, we will coordinate training.
  9. MSL 107 GIS/3D lab - recurring costs will be very steep. Joe will talk to Judy about the cost of sustaining it.
  10. Room reservation PC - deployed and functioning.
  11. Microform password application - Chris and Josh have been working on it.
  12. Public computer cable cleanup - ongoing - just finished GovDocs.
  13. 100 new staff computers received. Will verify machines to be replaced, contact folks and schedule replacement.
  14. Archivist Toolkit for Special Collections - client application - will need to set up the database.
  15. Tapes have all been removed from the tape vault. Project complete.
Software
  1. Recruitment Study - Chris and Michael are installing the application. Maureen is here finishing up a few things before she takes off. We will ask HR to prioritize their requests.
  2. Macros - finished 3-4 last week, 1 pending.
  3. Document disposition database - no changes.
  4. ITS - this week.
  5. Library Hours - Shruti is working on a list of mods from Tom.
DLC General Issues
  1. Judy approved OJS to be hosted at FCLA. If we need to take over, we should be ready.
Network/Server Administration
  1. Power outage at ALF this morning. Everything was back up and running by 8:15 AM.
  2. SharePoint training classes will be taught by Logan and Amy this month.
  3. VIVO - moving along, we have a meeting with them next week.
  4. Amy has MS Forefront almost done. We will finish SCOM and then test.
  5. Server room - 90% broken down. Compiling final list of servers for survey. IBM rack to be moved to SSRB or CISE, wherever there is room.
  6. VPN project - paused, but on the list.
  7. DHCP - prepped, but on hold for higher priority projects.
ILS
  1. FCLA - webpage based query failure - ongoing.
Web Projects
  1. Study Room reservations - done. This was the most asked for project in the Libraries.
  2. Mobile app might be coming.
  3. FEFDL - ongoing.
  4. We had an emergency meeting of the Emerging Technologies Committee. Judy would like native apps for every mobile platform. She will be in attendance at the next meeting.