- Emergency Help
- Computer Training for All Staff
- Blog Policy and Procedure
- Middle Managers Meeting Minutes
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609
Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354
Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
March 15, 2011
March 15, 2011
Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Mike Tyler, Evan Wack
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 03/08/11
- TSS update - The Libraries have carry-forward money available. Any appropriate project with justification can request funding. Will need to be approved by Judy. Spending deadline is June 30.
- Wireless keyboard and mouse in East conference room - all agree that tethering the remote and having a lockbox for the keyboard and mouse is a good solution.
- Annual TSS meeting forthcoming. Date not yet scheduled, but Cathy and Betsy are working on it. Information learned at Project Management will be shared. We will have a mini process of Project management, where teams will be formed and the winning concept will be awarded with a mini grant to implement their project. There will be food.
- Security Breaches - be mindful and continue to practice caution when dealing with private information such as SSN, bank accounts, driver license numbers, etc. The Libraries are putting together procedures to review all items from donors, selectors, librarians, etc. so that no private content is made public.
Ongoing IT Updates
- DLC #3 - one week away from starting (not finishing).
- Public Win7 migration - we've given Clean Slate a deadline of April 20 to have the fixes in place or we will get our money refunded and go back to using Deep Freeze. The product is not designed for users to have administrator rights. They are trying to redesign it for us.
- Altiris Notification server - we are set to start configuring Asset Management. Tomorrow we begin 20 hours of conference calls with Altiris techs.
- SharePoint - ready to roll out at next IT Update. Technology room guide - 1A and East conference room left to do.
- West Group Study rooms - waiting on PO.
- MSL 308 - projector for Smart board - vendor just received the PO.
- Education mobile video conference video cart - waiting on PO. There is a hold up with the cart - may need to get 2 more quotes.
- General use computer inventory - complete.
- Microform machines - Michael Dietz and Josh have been working on the set up. The machines are software driven. They have been checked into Grover. Seven need to be deployed. Will put them out right before staff training.
- Win7 Scanner replacement - Scanners received, stored in West 317.
- MSL L107 GIS/3D modeling lab - want to try to put in one location. Joe Aufmuth is meeting with CISE to determine which facility will house it.
- Room reservation computer/FCLA - Pat Reakes met with Matthew and Chris McHale and decided to configure both machines to do cataloging and room reservation.
- Tapes - need 7 more bins delivered and filled and then need to have Cintas pick up all 22 bins to finish out the tape disposal project.
- 100 new staff machines have been ordered. Will be imaged at ECOB with Win7.
DLC General Issues
- Recruitment Study (HR) - Maureen will have this project wrapped up for internal use by the time she leaves. We will need to get another one of our programmers familiar with it after her departure.
- Document Disposition database - got a good requirements document put together and have started coding. Winston spoke with ASERL GovDocs Librarians - they are starting to accept it. They want to be able to test it out prior to implementation in their states.
- Storage-Print Journal Inventory Tracking - Chris has been researching.
- Macros have been quiet. Michael met with Cathy and Delonda on an upcoming ticket.
- FCLA reports - Missed Self-Checkout - complicated query that broke - written by Jason Fleming. Got info from FCLA on how to make the query more efficient.
- Acquisitions Order Tracking - Paul came up with some good requirements. Michael is working on it.
- OLE - first coding sprint is finished. Demo of results is available. We are reviewing the position description for Maureen's position.
- Library Hours - Shruti finished mods, should roll out this week.
- ITS - changes from Missy and Isabel for recording faculty classes taught - Shruti is working on it.
- Merge Tracking - merge complete. New suite of reports available.
- METS Editor - nearing completion. UCF is alpha testing the process for Caribbean partners to contribute online.
- Migration to Solr/Lucene - should start later this week or Monday. Should take about two months for completion. Solving this will solve Fedora. Mark will write to Judy concerning the time-line for this with an explanation for why this would, in essence, replace Fedora.
- OJS (Open Journal Systems) update - working with FCLA. African Studies Quarterly will be the first to test.
- Current network problem - CNS reports problems with their blade chassis networking infrastructure, resulting in intermittent issues and connectivity problems with all VMs and hosted storage.
- SharePoint - training classes to be taught by Logan and Amy to begin in April.
- DHCP - ready to begin switching subnets next week.
- Vivo - meeting on Friday to discuss infrastructure. They are going to clean it up and then hand us off a build of 6 servers: 3 app and 3 database. Rachel cautions that an MOU is planned and to share a summary of the meeting with Judy so that issues with the handoff can be anticipated/mitigated.
- MS Forefront and SCOM - beginning rollout of new management services for Forefront endpoint security. Eventually, we will include patch management and system monitoring through SCOM. Campus is heading in this direction.
- No new updates, Cynthia is out for most of the week.
- FEFDL - the grant application has been submitted. The web site is being redone, even if there is no money. Tom has completed a draft for the new page. It is becoming more of a portal to documents. The grant is to create a way to have departments from around the state submit documents to be digitized by IA and/or DLC and then have a way to search it.