Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
February 1, 2011

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Maureen Kelly, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mike Tyler, Evan Wack

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Town Hall Meeting 2/8/11 has been cancelled. Instead, the Core Competencies Working Group has elected for smaller group presentations in order to allow for better communication and more dialogue. Scheduled session info will be sent out by HR.
  2. Unit Accomplishments - waiting on Networking.
  3. IT Directors Meeting - Will sent out the minutes from the meeting. No comments.
  4. Rachel just attended training for staff appraisals. This appraisal period is from March 1, 2010-February 28, 2011. All appraisals are to be returned to HR by March 25, 2011. Folks should start working on their self-appraisals. Teams exempt: second-level supervisors must also sign the appraisals. Supervisor signatures must be obtained before appraisal discussions. Ratings of minimal or below must be discussed with HR.
Review Minutes of 1/18/2011
  1. Wording on Software #5 - Michael is gathering requirements for an Acquisitions Tracking System for Paul Lightcap. He is not currently actively working on it.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. AV - much going on:
    MSL 107 GIS Lab/Conference Room - putting the brakes on both concepts until Judy concludes the matter
    West Group Study Rooms - large LCDs with hookups for laptop users
    MSL 308 - short throw projector for Smart Board
    Education - mobile video conference cart
    Grand Reading Room - AV
    Spreadsheet on the projects has been sent to Judy. Awaiting her decisions.
  2. Altiris Notification Server - everything is working except PC Anywhere. We are working on patch management.
  3. Altiris Deployment Server - all jobs working. There are some bandwidth issues. We will be testing it in the ECOB shop.
  4. SharePoint - Debra is working on the IT site. Waiting to get info on the technology rooms before announcing it.
  5. Lockdown Computer Policies/Squid Proxy - Catalog and Room Reservation.
  6. Image additions:
    VLC Staff & Public
    Itunes Public
    Google Earth Public
  7. Public Windows 7 Migration - MSL 308 and West will be test areas. Clean Slate techs are coming to ECOB on February 9 and are committed to staying until the issue is fixed. We are shooting for March 7 (Spring Break week) to migrate.
  8. Remedy - new version purchased by campus. Launch date slated for Summer A for UF Helpdesk.
  9. Tapes - 15 Chiles tapes delivered to John Nemmers to ship out for conversion. Debra to pull 116 SPOT tapes and deliver them to ALF for storage. Need to get Facilities to weigh a tape to be able to generate an estimate of destruction cost. Also need Facilities to evaluate the possibility of removing one of the tape racks in the tape vault and installing it out at ALF to store the SPOT tapes.
Software
  1. Recruitment Study (HR) - no action.
  2. Document disposition database - Jan is trying to get the demo rescheduled. She is in communication with GPO to do connectivity testing. Tom Bielicke is working on the User Management tool and is almost done.
  3. Macros - two done this week. One new one incoming. Michael finished the dynamic staff list for the IT SharePoint site.
  4. Bad data in source files for Patron Updates - cannot reproduce the problem, will have to wait for it to fail.
  5. Panama Canal file migration - they want to keep all 46 fields. Chris has created a MS Access database with the data linked on SQL server. This will give them the most flexibility. Rachel notes they will also need to add images.
  6. Library Hours - Shruti is making good progress. She will show it to Tom Minton this week.
  7. Library class registration system (MSL) - Maureen is tracking down the HSC tool.
  8. ITS - "Send to Outlook" button - released.
  9. OLE - Maureen is working on specs. Coding starts today for the first coding sprint. Two week countdown until OLE folks arrive at UF. We will need assistance with the videoconferencing setup. Maureen will be attending the spring OLE meeting in New Orleans.
Network/Server Administration
  1. ALF network issues - ongoing. They will continue to have limited bandwidth until fiber is installed. The question becomes how much money can be spent to tweak it until fiber is out there. Anticipated PICO funds start in July. Interim steps: wait for fiber or bump up Cox or get out of the Cox contract and go with GRU. Cathy Martyniak has the most problems when using Elluminate.
  2. SharePoint - Logan met with Bonnie Smith and Brian Keith regarding the HR site for candidate info. Their initial desire is to replace the candidate info folders. They'd like it available to all UF staff.
    SharePoint permission explanation: discussion about creating new SharePoint groups to permission out sites. This adds an extra step in the permission assignment. Winston, Debra, Amy and Logan should meet to discuss.
  3. VMWare - vSphere hardware to be moved in three weeks. Have to work out EPO and SQL Dev. All software upgraded to 4.1 over the weekend. Beginning some basic testing along with Open Systems of virtual desktops through vSphere.
  4. DHCP - building new count of Circulation access computers. Got the IDs from FCLA, Amy converted them into a computer list. Will break the list up by department and send out to department heads to analyze whether or not it is current. Will compile a final list and roll with DHCP.
  5. Proxy server configured.
ILS
  1. Cynthia is out.
  2. Amy is finishing up one ticket.
  3. Michael and Cynthia are working on a ticket for Cathy Martyniak - Storage Facility.
DLC General Issues
  1. Mark Sullivan is in South Florida.
Web Projects
  1. Academic Scholarly Outreach site - all done, just awaiting content.
  2. Virtual bookmarks - still under discussion.
  3. FEFDL site - will be a big undertaking. They want it tied in to UFDC, Government archives, etc. They are applying for a large grant and hiring a Project Manager. Judy is very interested. This will be a total redesign, a new interface. Timeline and grant document have been worked up.
  4. Study Room Reservations - Matthew met with Pat, Stacey, and Chris to finalize policies. Once we get the machine locked down, it will be ready to go.