Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
January 4, 2011

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Maureen Kelly, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Mike Tyler, Evan Wack

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Working towards TSS goals for next year: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/tss/TechServicesInitiatives.html. Relates to individual appraisals in March. Look at the goals to determine how it relates to your accomplishments. Each unit needs to give a list of accomplishments to Will.
  2. Microsoft Academy - online courses available to all: http://docweb.cns.ufl.edu/msita/
  3. BIT committee will meet this month to schedule the cakes for the rest of this new year.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. New hire, Mike Tyler, just started. He will be permanently housed at the West IT shop. Tomorrow, Evan will take him around to all of the Libraries. First day of classes, should be fun. 2. Altiris - working to get it configured on the physical server. 3. Public WIN7 image - Clean Slate just gave us a fresh build. Will start testing. 4. Staff WIN7 image - waiting on Altiris server build. All will be 32Bit. 64Bit available upon approval. 5. SharePoint site to become active again. 6. Laptop printing for public - waiting for WIN7 roll out for non-affiliates. We will need new public laptops to run WIN7. Rachel asks that Evan inform Diane Bruxvoort on this issue. 7. Remedy - will check with UF Help Desk at the end of the week. 8. MSL 107 technology proposal - in progress. . A proposal for laptop/classroom replacement of technology is being developed by Diane Bruxvoort. 9. Need to get another lapel microphone. Need to price out a portable PA. 10. Help Desk - students are back. Need to hire one more. Position was just posted, no applicants yet.
Software
  1. Issue with bad data in files from Bridges is still occurring, resulting in a bad patron load. We are looking for a solution.
  2. Recruitment Study - report format almost done. Sample reports given to Brian and Bonnie to take to ALA.
  3. Document Disposition Database Phase 1 - rolled out.
  4. Document Disposition Database Phase 2 - management tool. Pending.
  5. Macros - 2 existing mods. New ones on the way. Cathy Martyniak - ongoing. Priscilla Williams had an Excel routine that Michael helped her with - Authority Inspection. She is very happy with it.
  6. OLE - coding begins February 1. Functional Council team is dividing the coding into sprints. There will be 11 sprints between now and July 1. A position is open for the lead developer. Will be posted at UF, NC State and Lehigh University. On February 17 & 18, the technical and functional councils will be here at UF. OLE is cranking up.
  7. ILL server switch - move is done. The database is migrated to the new server. Moving to WIN7 to solve the issue of the 24-7 log on. Chris Youngblood is the contact. HWID 10203.
  8. Panama Canal file migration - on hold for Paul Losch to get new data to Chris.
  9. FilmLog mod - on hold for Preservation.
  10. Storage Print Journal - Inventory Tracking on hold.
  11. New Cataloging queue for Grover - on hold, Betsy is working on the requirements.
Network/Server Administration
  1. SharePoint - no new requests. Demo to Branch Chairs on January 12. Check with Diane Bruxvoort for meeting time. Meeting may have been moved to January 13 due to ALA.
  2. Exchange issue from yesterday - CNS resolved the problem.
  3. Infrastructure - ticket for network rebuild for the work trailers out at ALF.
  4. Request for cellular amplification in room 1A to improve service.
  5. NT13 - waiting for Joe.
  6. NT18 - done, it can be removed.
  7. West security - co-location with CNS.
ILS
  1. Nothing noteworthy.
DLC General Issues
  1. New version of UFDC released today.
Web Projects
  1. Room reservation system - Matthew had a meeting with FCLA programmer. He made changes per specs, but it is too confusing. Matthew asked him to make some more changes. It should be ready for soft launch soon. Matthew will meet with PR to discuss the work flow for staff. It runs in the Catalog.
  2. Dr. Silver - Academic and Scholarly Outreach website in development.
  3. Web Developer position will be posted soon. The Search Committee has been formed. Evan will be representing IT. There will, no doubt, be many applicants.