Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
December 14, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Maureen Kelly, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell
Announcements
  1. TSS fund proposal template - Will is going to email it out and if you have any requests, you can fill out the form and submit it.
  2. IT Christmas luncheon this Friday, December 17. We'll leave at 11:30AM.
  3. TSS vision: our goals from last year - we need to figure out how effective we were in achieving them. Will wants a list for each unit. Plus, staff should be using this to think about their individual evaluation goals. Web site location is here: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/tss/TechServicesInitiatives.html
  4. IT Directors Meeting notes - Will attended this meeting and posted the notes. Participants included folks from: Provost, Museum of Natural History, FCLA, the Harn and Smathers Library (Will). They plan to meet on a monthly basis. This will help us become more aware of what is going on within the CIO's office. Expertise will be shared.
Review Minutes of 12/07/10
  1. Rachel made corrections to the tape section in Announcements #1.
  2. SW#6: should be Chris Nicolich, not Logan.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. Evan has been installing Altiris. He is out sick today. Unknown if it's done yet.
  2. Staff Win7 - we've been brainstorming, getting an outline as to the procedure.
  3. Public laptops - Josh is out today.
  4. Public Win7 migration - awaiting Clean Slate. The guy working on it is currently on vacation. Trish is working on a shutdown time issue.
  5. Remedy - waiting on UF Help Desk upgrade decision.
  6. SharePoint - busy with tickets.
  7. Help Desk - Paul Tang's last day was today. Kelly and Diane will return for the spring semester. Debra will advertise for another student to take Paul's place.
Software
  1. Issue: bad data in source files for Patron Updates - weird characters in the data. Bridges is not sure why it occurs. Need to run pre-processing on those files. It would be good to error check before processing. We can fix them, but we need to prevent it from happening.
  2. Recruitment Study - Maureen is meeting with Brian tomorrow.
  3. Document Disposition database - we were supposed to demo it yesterday, but were unable to get anyone on the line (via videoconferencing) with us. The Atlanta guy did not answer and the Washington, DC folks were locked out of their room. Lesson learned: test beforehand. We will probably not be able to set this up again until January.
  4. Macros - closed a few this week. Cathy Martyniak has a few projects that can be done either in macros or a database.
  5. Kuali - functional committee met on how to get specs to the development team. Rachel was in attendance.
  6. ILL server switch - having difficulty finding out how Ariel works and stores files. Chris is working with Chris Youngblood on this issue.
  7. Panama Canal file migration - we were asked to turn it into an Access database. There are not enough data loads to do everything yet. Now there is a new version, so all of the data has changed.
  8. FilmLog - waiting on Preservation.
  9. Library Hours - on hold, waiting for time to work on it.
Network/Server Administration
  1. ALF networking requests - getting quotes.
  2. ALF - temporary storage facility - once they decide where, we will need to get connections.
  3. ALF - doubling bandwidth - need a solution to videoconferencing problem. They don't come near to using their available bandwidth. Need to get CNS back out there to check it out when they are videoconferencing.
  4. SharePoint - moving along. Meeting with Cathy Martyniak this week.
  5. NT13 - will try to get the word from Joe on shutting it down.
  6. NT18 - waiting for Chris, ILL.
  7. West security - $100 per month per co-location with CNS. Need to get Admin to agree.
  8. Server room - Logan to get items ready for survey this week.
  9. Amy had a question from Zeke at HSCL about SharePoint. How do they get involved? Would they fall under Smathers Libraries? What about Hippa training? Will to check on it.
ILS
  1. Going well.
Web Projects
  1. Three more surveys this week - for Betsy's grant project.
  2. Smathers Library Web contest - we are giving away a Starbucks $25 certificate to students with the best paragraph describing why the Smathers Libraries are important to them. Sponsored by the Library Supporters.
  3. Further discussion on the state of the proxy server.