Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
November 30, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Michael Jay, Maureen Kelly, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. Current IT Org Chart unveiled. To be posted online in the near future.
  2. Library Council - met last week. Will to send out the meeting minutes via email.
  3. Smathers Library Holiday party - Wednesday, December 8, 12:00-2:00 PM room 1A. Transportation can be arranged.
  4. IT Dept Holiday Luncheon - will be held on Friday, December 17. Should we have it catered or go out? Possible options: Macaroni Grill or Red Onion. Will to send out an email and get responses.
  5. HR Training class scheduled for the IT Dept for tomorrow has been cancelled. The instructor is ill.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. Software recall is 98% done. We just got 2 boxes from MSL yesterday. We're almost done collecting it all. Will start inventory tomorrow.
  2. Public Win7 migration - Clean Slate has a fix. They will send it and we will test it. If it's working, we've spoken to West and they will let us put it on a handful of computers for further testing. We may be able to get it on at a few of the branches prior to the semester break.
  3. Remedy - Evan has been emailing Andy and Fran (UF Help Desk). They are looking to upgrade to a new version of Remedy. They added the Libraries to their licensing needs. Evan is going to be meeting with them soon. If they do not move to the new version, we will revisit the old version they gave us to test. We are not testing the old version at this point in time. We are waiting to see what the decision will be on the new version. The new version is modular. No time frame as to when this will all start to roll.
  4. Laptop print driver instructions - dependent on if the WIN7 push happens over the intercession. We have instructions put together and have gotten good ideas from what other universities are doing.
  5. MSL 107 Technology proposal - Evan emailed the vendor and should be hearing from them this week.
  6. 1A airflow - Facilities has not contacted Evan.
Software
  1. FilmLog - waiting on Preservation.
  2. Recruitment Study - Maureen created reports. She is scheduled to meet with Bonnie Smith and Brian Keith this Friday.
  3. Document Disposition Database - Shruti and Tom implemented the Google OpenID (for secured login to the application) functionality. This week they will do assurance testing. Demo next week.
  4. Kuali hired a business analyst and an architect.
  5. Ariel - Chris is working to move Ariel to a new database server. Per Logan, it will be called LIB-ILL. He is also looking to get Ariel to run as a service.
Network/Server Administration
  1. Word Press problem last week. Logan spent time talking with the UF security guy. PHP files are causing redirects, spamming the blog server. Logan has tightened the security on structure and the box and installed security plug-ins. He reinstalled Word Press application software and removed all inactive blogs and unused templates. He will just need to watch it. We can't lock it down too much, or no one would be able to comment. The CNS ticket on this has been closed. We will keep an eye on it.
  2. SharePoint - meeting Monday with Storage Project Group. They (Grace & Cathy) want a site to keep cost info. They have requested an ALF site as well. There is also a project for Hang, one for Access Services (Michelle Crump), Tenure & Faculty Promotion and Aleph Pro. We are steadily pushing harder for the other departments to move into SharePoint.
  3. Server room - NT13 - met with Joe Aufmuth (GIS) about the integration of IS and TomCat on that server. Need to work it out on the new server. Everything else - GIS config and data loads are done. NT18 - file server - access looks good to go. West security - no response from CNS when asked for a quote for the cost of co-location. PS1 - copied over, had to make config changes to box. Will redo, have them delete the current, and then recopy and bring up this week.
  4. FYI: Cathy Martyniak spoke with Logan about a videoconferencing unit for the East conference room. No official request generated yet.
ILS
  1. It seems staff are finding ways to empower themselves using FCLA services.
Web Projects
  1. Updated the Pay for Academic Sports Challenge.
  2. Modifed the Mango catalog.
  3. Demoed the advanced booking matrix last week. All went well. It is a project with FCLA. Matthew is going out there to work on it.
  4. Oil spill URL changed.