Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
September 7, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Maureen Kelly, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. Will is trying to schedule the IT Open house for Sept 23-24. This date is not yet confirmed.
Review Minutes of 8/31/10
  1. SW #7 - 3rd sentence removed.
Ongoing IT Updates

Hardware
  1. Canon printer meter reads - past meter reads were submitted off the server statistics, so Josh will continue to do so.
  2. Public laptop analysis - Branch Chairs to discuss the damage policy issue.
  3. Staff computer replacements - we're ready to start imaging - they are all lined up on the shop bench. Michael Jay has already received his new machine. We are just waiting for the other programmers to let us know when they are ready to go.
  4. SharePoint Hardware site - we've been working on it - laying the groundwork. It is in rough draft form right now. We hope to demo it at the IT Update meeting at the end of this month.
  5. Win7 testing is on the back burner.
  6. Win7 bug - Evan has been passed along again at Microsoft. The new technician thinks it may be plug-n-play. Call scheduled for tomorrow morning.
  7. Vault - Property was scheduled for today, but they apparently forgot. Need to submit the list for the other vault.
  8. Print queue renaming - Josh worked on it with 90% success. The remaining 10% were unable to print - could not find the print queue. We'll wait for the Win7 migration.
  9. Outage message - on the IT phone line and Grover alert.
  10. 1A - Evan met with a new vendor to get pricing on the room 1A upkeep. The AC noise has picked up.
  11. Help Desk - new student, Diane Etienne, should start next week. Just waiting for her to get all of her paperwork straight with Library HR. Still need to hire one more person.
Software
  1. Delphi apps warning - Logan to look at policy.
  2. ARL stats - Steve Carrico came by to discuss 2010 statistics period - final list.
  3. Documents disposition database - Shruti is working on sorting algorithm. It is complicated/challenging.
  4. Macros - Acquisitions should be live. Michael Dietz will submit a ticket with the HWIDs and usernames to Michael Jay.
  5. Grover mods - notify grid, system status and HW-SW association.
  6. OLE - Kuali-Rice training upcoming.
Network/Server Administration
  1. SharePoint is starting to move. Meetings scheduled with Acquisitions and Cataloging. They want a simple document-sharing site. SP 2010 training - not much out there. Amy has placed a call to New Horizons. There are SharePoint 2K7 training documents available.
  2. CNS virtualization - staff printing on hold for Win7. App Server - just need to schedule a day and do it. Web - same, have copy on old infrastructure. GIS - Joe agreed to clean and install ARC GIS.
  3. 2nd Life project - mini grant - bots on server - need to recompile source code.
  4. Will move the physical server out here this week and set it up.
  5. Switch to be moved from the old server room.
ILS
  1. There are many ALEPH report tickets. Amy and Cynthia have about 4-5 each. Each is very important to the requester. DLC is requesting an ETA on a daily basis. Amy is working with Donna at FCLA. Even she is unsure how to get the requested data.
DLC General Issues
  1. OCR status - almost there. We have a new box set up, unknown if it will fix it.
  2. List of final items left to do for UFDC generated this morning.
  3. Mark got Shibboleth working with UFDC Web 3.
Web Projects
  1. Naming convention document - sent out for review this morning.
  2. Oil spill site - the individual is not getting back to us.
  3. Judaica site - more changes requested.