- Emergency Help
- Computer Training for All Staff
- Blog Policy and Procedure
- Middle Managers Meeting Minutes
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609
Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354
Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
August 31, 2010
August 31, 2010
Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 8/24/10
- Maureen Kelly, our OLE programmer, is here. Welcome aboard!
- Project Management training announced. It is pricey, so be sure to attend both sessions if you attend. Will be taught by a national consultant. Come armed with a project in mind.
- Hume Hall - honors study room - librarians have volunteered to work there. May need IT?
- Benefits Open Enrollment Sept 27 - Oct 22.
- Priorities for hiring - sent to the Deans. We need to fill vacant positions - one technician and one Web developer, most likely.
- Eastside Open House - Will was considering the date Sept 16-17. Rachel notes that is probably not good, as there are many events happening around that time. Whatever you decide - be sure it is announced ahead of time.
Ongoing IT Updates
- HW #10 - please note that it is a campus issue.
- Public printing - feedback on printing via the web suggestion box - mentioned the delay between copies. This issue should be fixed in the next MEAP release from Canon. Evan emailed the patron with the appropriate information. We had a printing issue last week when Arrowmark stopped responding. GatorOne rebooted on Thursday and the issue was fixed. On Friday, there were some CNS issues that affected printing. We put a printing outage message on the Help Desk voicemail. Evan has been working with Chris to get an outage notification on the Grover homepage. Rachel would like an email notification to be sent to Branch Chairs as well. Sonia needs Canon printer meter readings for all 24-25 printers. Someone from each department should be designated as the person to submit them. Per Rachel, email Diane Bruxvoort and have her add it as an agenda item for Branch Chairs. Include a list of printer locations. Branch Chairs meet Wednesdays 9-10AM in the West conference room on the 4th floor. However, they are not convening this week.
- We are analyzing the loaner laptop in West. Laptops from the HR training room are being used as replacements for broken ones for now. Damage responsibility is in question. Topic should be brought up in Branch Chairs. Michelle Crump should be invited. Please get the wording on damage responsibility to Rachel.
- Staff computer replacement - to start the week of Sept 13th. Emails will be sent out to notify folks ahead of time. Will also notify supervisors and provide info on backing up. Those with dual monitors will keep them and those with singles will be replaced with new ones. They will have the staff XP image and Office 2010 installed.
- Amy got us our SharePoint site. We plan to map it out at our Hardware Unit meeting this Thursday.
- Win7 scanner testing is in the works.
- Win7 bug - calls are being escalated at Microsoft.
- Vault inventory survey - Laurie needs time to get the list together. The inner vault should be emptied out on Sept 7. Special Collections (John Nemmers) was given access.
- Tapes - still all being store in the East tape vault.
- Josh is going to be renaming the print queues on PS1 and PS2.
- Looking into Firefox MS GPO extensions for the images.
- Help Desk - we currently only have one student employed, Paul Tang. Had one interview set up for last week, but the student did not show or return to phone calls. Will work on new hires this week.
- Delphi apps warning message is still there.
- Patron Update ran fine. Can be removed from the list.
- ARL Stats - just about to close, but Steve Carrico has one more thing to discuss. He is coming out to Eastside on Thursday.
- Document disposition database - Shruti and Tom have gotten most of the small changes done.
- FCLA/ALEPH report automation - nothing new.
- Acquisitions macro is ready to be released. Will require training to nudge them off the old and on to the new. The Paul Lightcap (Acq Order Tracking) macro can be moved to pending, we are waiting on him to respond. Michael has been working with Evan to get a script done for Doug Smith via Altiris.
- Grover changes - Evan has requested a few changes. There will be a Notify queue for the IT staff. Chris is also working on a System Status icon for Grover, to indicate when there is a system failure or if all is well. Anyone in IT will be able to set it from the Grover Admin page. Chris will also be linking the Hardware and Software pages. This will not be a way to query live machines; it has to kept by hand.
- SharePoint 2010 training is non-existent. We are looking into ways to supplement. MS has not developed SP2010 training yet.
- Tape backup - in place on all servers.
- GIS - wiped and reimaged with 2K3. Do not take NT13 off backups yet.
- DLC - snapshot storage every Tuesday and Thursday at 6PM. Tape backup every weekend.
- New switch installed in DLC. Speed is much faster.
- App server move - scheduled for next week.
DLC General Issues
- Amy and Cynthia have quite a few tickets.
- Cynthia has emails out to Donna (FCLA) about a few. She has been very helpful.
- OCR - waiting for a new software version.
- Web server - Shibboleth issue - does not launch.
- New site, UF Oil Spill Task Force. Matthew is meeting with them. Need to keep track of time/cost figures.
- Rebecca approved the Judaica site.
- Steve Carrico - he reorganized and patched together his departmental Web site. Now, they decided to totally redo it.
- Naming convention document - it's not possible to do it without special characters.
- Proxy server - complaint from an Emeritus. They are unable to log in through Shibboleth. They are given the Member affiliation in UFAD and it does not give them library privileges. They can use their 14-digit number on Shibboleth, but not on the proxy server. One of the problems with Emeritus status is that it takes a semester to get back into the Directory. There have been work-arounds, on a case-by-case basis.