Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
July 6, 2010

Present: Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Jay, Amy Polk, Evan Wack
Announcements
  1. Be ready for the move: Monday, July 12. Evan walked through on Friday - only two offices had no cleaning issue-type problems. Building will be opened 7AM-7PM.
  2. Hardware group will need all of the IT Dept's assistance on August 6-22. Need help setting up 150 new public computers in West. Has to be done by the end of the summer semester.
Review Minutes of 6/28/10
  1. HW #2 - remove staff member's name.
Ongoing IT Updates
Orders
  1. New fiscal year: ordering commenced.
Hardware
  1. Making progress with Altiris. Virtualization software is working.
  2. Cathy Martyniak has requested OCS for her group. She wants Office 2010 as well. That will wait until the staff migration.
  3. Win7 - DLC is not interested in volunteering to go first. We need someone to test. Two folks in access Services have volunteered. They have both ARIEL and ARES.
  4. OCS is working with videoconferencing. Should be up in 1A soon.
  5. Public printing - working on it. Pharos was working on the delay and crashed the Arrowmark server completely. We have our regular conference call on Thursday.
  6. Time Limited workstations - Clean Slate is building in the fix. Time Limited is a Clean Slate product. It will need to be managed by Circ Desk staff. This is just waiting on the finalized version of Clean Slate.
  7. Privilege authority - will release it with staff migration to Win7.
Software
  1. Open Access - demoed to Isabel. There were a few tweaks to make. Chris will get on it upon his return.
  2. Document Disposition database - Winston met with Jan Swanbeck. They discussed Tom and Shruti's work on the project. Jan is enthusiastic, but has more requirements. Winston will be attending the ASERL meeting in Atlanta.
  3. Database migration - almost all of Smathers2K3SQL is done - except some of Cynthia's SQL stuff.
  4. Acquisition macro suite - Waiting for Acquisitions to document their procedures. Paul Lightcap has some non-macro coding that Michael will work on. Evan may want Michael to test virtualization on MacroExpress.
OLE
  1. Two people to interview for the programming position in about two weeks.
Network/Server Administration
  1. Sharepoint site is now active. It is bare right now; will get into it in the next few weeks. Unknown as to what exactly we want to do. We will do the IT site first with each unit having a sub-site. IT Knowledge site - pre-planning for Sharepoint.
  2. DHCP - done. Need a master list of static IPs. Discussion of naming convention. Will talk with FCLA about going by name or range.
  3. Virtualization - still moving. Amy is moving staff printing. Hope to get it done this week.
  4. Canon server move - someone needs to call Ed before Thursday.
  5. GIS - will try to migrate tomorrow (copy it over) and then move Tomcat out.
DLC General Issues
  1. Basically done.
  2. OCR boxes - problem with one, moved it to a 32 bit box and now it's okay.
Web Projects
  1. Matthew has been redesigning the Judaica site.
  2. Matthew is making a video of patrons using the Library computers for Rachel.