Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
May 3, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Altiris integrators are here today.
  2. TSS Division Meeting - May 26. Activities planned. Free breakfast. Room East 1A.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. Trying to finish out the FCLA budget soon.
  2. Need to get the numbers for a gate counter for Journalism.
  3. Orders usually stop mid-June. Chris needs to get a copy of Visual Studio 2010. Should be able to order it.
Relocation
  1. Moving along. Mid-July move-in date.
  2. Evan is working on the furniture list.
  3. We will reuse West shelving.
  4. If you have not notified Evan of your furniture needs, please email him by the end of today.
Hardware
  1. No updates on Public Printing.
  2. Videoconferencing - change order submitted. Should happen in 3-4 weeks.
  3. Altiris server issue - Altiris cannot talk to SQL. The port is not open to that box. Won't happen until tomorrow. It only updates at night. We had an extra SQL8 license that we are installing on the Altiris server.
  4. AD - finished restructuring.
  5. Win7 - working on public image.
  6. Clean Slate - it is now working at log-off. Working on the fix with McAfee issue.
  7. Time-Limited Workstations - waiting for Clean Slate.
  8. Laurie and Josh are working on un-boxing new computers.
Software
  1. Patron Update - rewrite ongoing.
  2. Macros - Tom Bielicke is training on the Hank Young (ALF) macro. Got the green light on the Acquisitions macros.
Network/Server Administration
  1. DHCP - in the works with CNS. Hope to hear more soon.
  2. CNS virtualization - scheduling the SAN to move on Friday. We will let departments know in advance. If they have shortcuts outside the Z: and U: drive, we will have to change the paths.
  3. CNS virtualization - Logan has Cynthia going through and creating a structure of empty folders for the Web.
  4. ILS - Amy will be attending Ex-Libris training this Mother's Day weekend.
DLC General Issues
  1. OCR - ABBY software to migrate today. Everything else is scheduled for May 10.
  2. New Aware server is up. Copying data.
  3. Configuring UFDC data for the move.
Web Projects
  1. Regional Depository Project - Judy put out a draft plan - six field, searchable page. Chelsea and Jan are meeting with Judy to discuss it today.
  2. Proxy server - Cliff wants to meet with Tom and Winston. Need to discuss different ways to authenticate. We still do not have a handle on other groups using the 14-digit number to log on - like the Foundation group.
  3. Wordpress - template: single, double & triple columns. Broke the single dynamic template. Meeting scheduled for next week. There are problems with making it consistent and keeping the Smathers branding. Each branch library will need a separate header.
  4. Sharepoint - training upcoming for Logan and Chris. They will, in turn, help to train the IT staff. We will then need to train the Library staff.