- Emergency Help
- Computer Training for All Staff
- Blog Policy and Procedure
- Middle Managers Meeting Minutes
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609
Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354
Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
April 5, 2010
April 5, 2010
Present: Shruti Bagri, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Evan Wack
Guest: Rachel SchipperAnnouncements
Ongoing IT Updates
- Amy had a request from Student Government for a survey. It goes to Barbara Hood first, and then on to Branch Chairs. It is a protocol issue that gets handled first, and then will go to IT. Two week notification is required.
- Order for 174 computers should be here this month. The shipment of the 8 high-end computers should arrive this week.
- Will and Evan went out to the Eastside campus last week. We asked for 20+ data ports in the Hardware Shop, but there are only 6.
- The walls have been shifted.
- Power - 30 outlets in the shop area.
- Windows in the Programmer area - we were charged for it. There should be sufficient light.
- Parking decals - can order them for the year and then, once we move, go to Traffic & Parking and they will refund the money for the unused portion. Rachel asked Rob about carpool tags for coming back to campus. Parking on the Eastside is supposed to be free for the first two years.
- Altiris order - Evan spoke with UF Purchasing - there are about 12 more changes required. He is meeting with the Altiris integrators today.
- Evan met with the videoconferencing company. A microphone engineer found a better microphone. We do not have enough mic or speaker coverage. No cost to change the order. Will probably take 5 weeks. We are also getting a new DVR.
- Help Desk - scheduled to launch next week: Tuesday, April 13. 273-2800 will be answered by an auto attendant that will prompt to choose either the Help Desk or the Staff Directory. Student/Deb's phone to ring three times, then the Hardware Unit's phones will ring, as they are backing up the Help Desk. Any voicemail left on the Directory phone will show on Will, Winston and Logan's phones. Evan will be sending out an All Staff email announcement, stating that we will be starting with MSL only, as a test unit. The Grover self-submittal form will still be available. IT phone numbers will no longer be masked; they will show everyone's individual numbers. If those outside the Hardware Unit somehow get a Help Desk call, please log in the ticket and record the amount of time spent on the call (Evan needs the statistics). Otherwise, you can transfer it back to the Help Desk.
- ARL Stats - demo with Steve Carrico was successful. Steve will show it around. We will demo again in two weeks.
- Cataloging Statistics - written around stored procedure. Jason, Tom & Shruti are working on it.
- Patron updates ran this weekend. They did not run on the new server. We could not get the software installed properly. The new IBM driver is not running on the new server.
- Macros - 7 live, 2 new, 1 closed.
- Library Hours GUI - demoed to Tom and Lela. It is now on the test server.
- DLC - moving NT19 - have to use the old version of Replistor - new one does not work.
Students and Department
- Issue with Proxy Server - Patrons with Emeritus status are denied access via Gatorlink. Their affiliation is shown as 'member'. Tom checked with CNS - it could cause problems with Shibboleth. They can use VPN to log in and get access, using the 14-digit number. There is another group, the Foundation that does not have Library privileges. It behooves us (as they are donors) to give them access. Winston is looking into this issue.
- Open Access - done. We could not do the interactive Open Access PDF.
- Regional Depository - waiting for new state plan.
- Debra and Evan will meet with the students today to discuss the upcoming phone changes and Help Desk implementation.
- It would be helpful to know where the students will be physically located when hiring them for the summer semester. Evan met with Facilities and it seems the power in MSL is not up to needed standards. Rachel had not yet heard of this issue. She will speak with Brad. Not being able to occupy those two offices is not an option she wants to entertain right now. Rachel will talk to Brad about getting estimates to fix the power and whatever else is needed to make the offices viable.