- Emergency Help
- Computer Training for All Staff
- Blog Policy and Procedure
- Middle Managers Meeting Minutes
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609
Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354
Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
March 22, 2010
March 22, 2010
Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Evan WackAnnouncements
Review Minutes of 03/15/10
- Sally the pig made her weight.
- Workers in Pensacola had colonial outfits on this weekend.
- Discussion of Grover - HW/SW Requests for the Administration department to go directly to Will Chaney.
- Evaluations start today.
Ongoing IT Updates
- Network/Server Administration #3 - remove monetary references.
- Altiris Consultant order - per UF Purchasing, it takes 7-10 days to cut a PO. The earliest this will be ready is Wednesday.
- POs have been created for the order of 174 replacement computers.
- Judy met with the Eastside Project Manager last week. The walls have been fixed. We lost one office space in the middle. The office at the end of the hall is now bigger.
- Delivery entrance is off of NE23rd Avenue, which will provide enough room for a tractor trailer.
- Will has requested a layout of the new plans.
- MSL tapes - send the list to Vernon or Tara and ask them to acknowledge which ones are designated for removal from the collection.
- Office space on the 5th floor of MSL has been approved for IT by John Ingram. Trade deal for space in MSL 206. The 5th floor offices could be used for a night-time employee for Newell Hall in the future, if necessary. Michael Howell notes that the power for these offices needs to be upgraded.
- Public printing - user lock-out issue will require a firmware upgrade on all devices. They wanted to test it on two machines Friday afternoon, but we didn't want to chance them being out of commission over the weekend. They are coming today to test. If it doesn't break, they will install on all machines. Gatorlink problem - error reported Saturday was from the Gatorlink SQL server. It occurs once every couple of weeks, and then clears itself. We need a fix. Mark Brackett has been contacted. No word on second quarter upgrade fix for duplexing and scan to USB.
- ReturnIL and Clean Slate test - Clean Slate looks promising. Works on reboot, not log off.
- Help Desk - Telecom to start configuring the IT Department phones. We've submitted a requisition for configuration. Should take 2-3 weeks. We will test the set up and once we feel it works as requested, we'll have them flip the switch.
- Anti-virus - HIP, Site Advisor - Trish has been on the phone with McAfee. Can turn off on both Firefox and IE. Would have to restrict add-ons for entire browser. Evan is going through EPO looking at Site Advisor queries.
- Video conferencing - April 1 - redesigning microphone system in Room 1A.
- Altiris - PO still pending.
- Win7 - putting image on new computers and rebuilt ones, or if the user requests.
- Administration Toughbooks must be encrypted.
- Language Packs - summer.
- Time-limited computers - John approved it, now it goes to Judy.
Network Server Administration
- Patron Updates - problems again this week. Different error. Chris is working on it.
- ARL Stats - Tom is working on data changes to deal with oddities in the past year's statistics.
- Macros - new ones incoming. Dissertation is 50% done. Todd/Analytics - ongoing. Angela/Serials - need Serial training. Request for C++ macro was a misunderstanding.
- Library Hours GUI - Shruti is working on it. Another week or so.
- Logan is working on a new server to replace Smathers2K3SQL. After that, Chris will be spending his time getting everything off the old server.
- VIVO - new guy, Chris Case, starts today.
- Fiscal Services - Deborah Alley needs to be set up to do financial work in back up of Jennifer Ellenwood when she is out on leave.
- ILLIAD had an upgrade pushed. They can't install since they are not administrators. Josh went to install, ILLIAD pulled it back. They pushed it again and Winston was able to install it.
- DHCP - no answer. Researched, should be straight forward. Depends on what Altiris expects.
- Virtualization - SQL server set up. Questions to answer: firewalls, ports. To use console, have to be a part of their department. Web should be done by the end of the week.
- Backups - need to send out email with estimates. The new SQL server will be put on Tivoli backup by the end of the week.
- Amy met with Jason, Betsy, Paul and Cathy.
DLC General Issues
- Proxy server - Cliff and Jason are compiling a list of databases. Working on re-doing EZProxy to make it more transparent. Cliff thinks it can be reconfigured to verify if they are logged into the VPN server. Otherwise, it requires a log-in. Need to ensure the lifespan. May take a re-write of EZProxy, using Shibboleth.
- VT Calendar - move it to Logan. Let them know when not to make changes.
- Mobile apps - done. Testing this week.
- CMS - working on templates. The hard part: the hooks for widgets and plug-ins.
- New project - Regional Depository Project for Documents. New site for the state and Caribbean. Requirements: pretty, cutting edge and sexy.
Students and Department
- Still trying to get SQL server slice for Mark. Unsure if Marks machine can access.
- Summer Work Study available, as long as the students are registered.
- Paul and Shamika are set to return for the summer.