Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
March 8, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Amy's birthday is tomorrow. Discussion of BIT (Bakers of IT committee).
Review Minutes of 03/01/10
  1. Relocation #2 - rephrase idiom.
  2. Relocation #1 - walk-through at Eastside - Rachel is inquiring as to when this is going to happen. Answer: whenever it is convenient for you. We're good to go at any time.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. West and staff computers that are out of warranty - 366 Optiplex 380's should be ordered in the next couple of days. There will be one special configuration for Barbara Hood.
  2. Win7 64 bit - Will has identified that it is more popular now. 64 bit is out for old printers. We have too much older equipment. Would be uncomfortable unless it was done piecemeal. Will says to look and consider it.
Relocation
  1. Videoconferencing walk-through.
  2. MSL tapes can go.
Hardware
  1. Public printing - no change.
  2. Help Desk - Planning started. Bobbie and Debra met with Rosa to discuss the implementation of the phones. We'll have a group meeting to discuss the roll out. Mods have been made to Grover to allow them to enter tickets. Not completed, but close. We're laying the foundations for the Help Desk.
  3. Anti-virus - HIP and Site Advisor - ready to go. Discussion of red sites and blocking. There are always plenty of green options available. Will roll out Wednesday with other updates. HSCL will not get it.
  4. Video conferencing - they will be here Tuesday-Thursday. Friday is spillover day. Other microphone quote? Not requested yet. Will wait until the install is complete.
  5. Altiris quotes - waiting for the PO to be cut.
  6. Public computer security - ReturnIL demo this morning. Circa patrons are all admins. Deep Freeze does not protect the master boot record. Clean Slate is another product to review.
  7. Win7 - creating staff and public images. Build software into image or push with Altiris? Logan suggests putting standard software on the image. Three departments have requested a departmental image. Need to test log on button and anchoring icons in Win7.
  8. Language packs - on hold until the summer.
  9. Time-limited workstations - awaiting approval from John Ingram.
Software
  1. ARL Stats - Tom Bielicke is working with Steve Carrico.
  2. IPhone apps - can be taken off the list.
  3. Macros - more incoming: Preservation, CatStat, Baldwin, Serials.
  4. VIVO - Winston and Sara are working on the interviews. Two last week, and one next week.
  5. Library Hours GUI - Shruti is working on it. Web interface is done, but need a way for staff to input.
  6. On Friday, Winston worked on spring break issues - made mods to handle it.
  7. Grover changes - all of the IT Dept will be able to submit a ticket on behalf of others - for the IT queue only. IT students have log-on ability. Students will not act as ticketmaster.
  8. Facilities Grover queue - Rob and Peter were both out, but all Facilities staff can claim Ticketmaster. Evan will stop by and show them how.
  9. Chris is working on phasing out 2K3SQL. Databases not yet moved; will eventually decommission.
  10. Confirmed the SQL server for UFDC at CNS has been built. We moved stuff over as a test copy. Mark Sullivan is unable to access. Winston authorized all 54 & 223 IPs.
Network/Server Administration
  1. UFDC database move went well. CNS was responsive. Expect first VM move today. Keith Sanders has the prioritized list. File Server is on the list - managed hosting for the Web. The problem with the hosting part: they have no ticketing system. Need a better way to track progress. Emails are not effective. No option in Remedy. May enter a trouble (not service) ticket at CNS.
  2. CNS backup - priced out. DLC one year estimated cost and backup fees if moved to Tivoli.
  3. DHCP - talked to Mary Byrd about the Eastside set up. If it works, great; otherwise, we roll ourselves. We need DHCP in place when Altiris is here. DHCP now needs to be a priority.
  4. Service account requested: EPO and Altiris.
ILS
  1. Training next week in Cataloging with Doug Smith - 13 hours in over 2 weeks. Acquisitions to follow.
  2. SQL training - Amy did a Microsoft Academy course. Completed SQL query. Logan expressed concerns to Jason. He will spend more time when he is here to discuss his liaison duties for FCLA. He sent a contact list. Logan thinks the position would be better served by a librarian. Rachel notes there are several reorganizations in the works over the next few weeks. Once things have settled, we might find a solution.
Web Projects
  1. VT calendar - Barbara Hood approved the design. Need to move to production. Use RSS feed from the Google calendar. We will need to change the links. Logan says: end of the week.
  2. Mobile app - done. Tom demoed to the UF Web Developers - they were impressed, had questions. Programmers did a good job. Tom demoed it to some students outside the Library and they asked about a Crowd Control app. Rob is checking on counters to get a real time gate count.
  3. CMS - ready to get online and work on the theme for the Library.
  4. John Ingram asked for a form-to-mail for patrons who are disputing charges. There should be a JAVA script solution for this issue.
  5. Move to CNS - EZ Proxy: how will it be affected? We are setting up a failover proxy for Cliff Richmond. The proxy server has been problematic forever. Tom should email FCLA and see if they handle the EZ proxy. We will still need the solution of access to databases for off- campus patrons. VPN can't always be installed. We need a Web method. It would be great if we could use Shibboleth. Tom will take the lead on this. Will invite Cliff Richmond.
  6. Move to Eastside - questions about the Usability Lab - what happens to it when the Web Unit moves? The UF Web Admin has expressed interest in using it for blogs. We are using it to test Second Life. There is nothing else like it on campus. Rachel would like Tom to email her outlining the Web Admin request. The space at Eastside was not provisioned for the Usability Lab. Would it be appropriate for Newell Hall? There is very little space there. Possibly the Student Affairs office?
DLC General Issues
  1. Nothing new.
Students and Department
  1. Students are out on Spring Break this week. Whitney may work sporadically.