Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
March 1, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Debra Fetzer, Michael Howell, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Will is wearing a very nice tie.
  2. Appraisal deadline discussed. 10-day rebuttal period allocated for all staff.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. Altiris order is now in Sonia's queue to create a PO.
Relocation
  1. Walkthrough at new Eastside building forthcoming. Rachel would like to attend. Next week's visit out there is for the AVI people to check out the set up for video conferencing. Please email Rachel with the time and day for which that is scheduled.
  2. The rest of the preparation for the relocation is pressing on. Tapes? Will to discuss it again at Library Council and Middle Managers/IT Governance.
Hardware
  1. Bobbie is currently working with the guys from Surplus Property to survey out equipment from the vault.
  2. Public printing - we tested several different brands of USB drive and they all worked. Scan-to-USB is not ready to go yet: fix won't be until the second quarter.
  3. Antivirus - met with Rachel - discussed McAfee HIPS and SiteAdvisor software. We are composing an email to send out to staff with screen shots regarding SiteAdvisor and how to interpret the icons. We are working on the documentation. Hope to have HIP protection in place by the end of the week.
  4. Language Packs - on hold.
  5. Videoconferencing - they changed out the cable in room 1A - everything is working now. Things are looking good for the March 4 meeting. They are scheduled to complete the installation next week. Also, they will be checking out the east campus site.
  6. Altiris - the order is in Sonia's queue for the PO to be generated. Evan is contacting Symantec's Tim Williams for info on their service desk module. He is also scheduling a meeting with the Circa folks to see their Remedy system.
  7. Win7 - on hold until June/July.
  8. ELearning is now compatible with the new JAVA version.
  9. Rachel notes that Sakai is not going to be out in the spring - more like Summer B.
  10. Phone support - calls to be routed to the Hardware Support Unit. We will be hashing the plan out in our weekly meetings. Will test prior to initiating.
  11. SUS - Josh is going through the buildings doing cleanup. East is messy. West is finished.
  12. Securing machines after the removal of admin rights - it will change the functionality. We need the list of software cleared by Public Services. We should be able to add other approved software through Altiris. Discussion on the public reaction to the revocation of admin rights and the fact that all Public Service folk may not be aware of the consequence of the change. Rachel suggests that Will attend the Branch Chairs meeting to discuss it with them.
  13. Time-limited workstations - can be moved to: pending outside forces. Waiting on approval by West and Admin. Rachel seemed to think it was approved. If so, it will be five machines set aside as time-limited.
  14. Security on Circa machines - Evan and Logan to meet with them to see how they do security with campus licenses, etc.
Software
  1. ARL Stats - testing.
  2. IPhone apps - completed. Tom Minton demoed to IPhone providers - they liked it.
  3. The question about FCLA's handling of IPhone apps was forwarded to Jason. Judy was wondering how they handled it. Jason would be the one to inform her.
  4. Shruti is working on an IPhone app to build an interface to enter Library hours.
  5. Shruti has completed the new Staff Directory page for Tom Minton. It now sorts on building and subject guides.
  6. VIVO - listing for two new hires has been posted. Logan is looking into the SSL certificate - cost and maintenance for the server.
  7. New version of Grover released Thursday with some minor changes: ticket search results can be exported to Excel files, Notify folks can add notes to tickets, email checkbox to include notifying Requestor, Current Workers and Notify List and the wording has been changed to "include HWID" at ticket submittal.
  8. 2K3SQL dying - looking to upgrade. Personnel database is on it. Trying to plan for move - it will break many pointers. Will move the Personnel database first, and then change all of the pointers. At that point, there will just be smaller, independent databases left. We have moved a copy of the Personnel database to 2K8SQL.
  9. Mark Sullivan wanted to mention that we are moving the UFDC database to CNS.
  10. Mark is working on an interface for the Aerial Photography grant.
ILS
  1. Amy met with Jason, and they worked together on a SQL query course and other aspects of Jason's job. Amy met with Librarians for help in gathering more understanding of Aleph. She asked Jason to do some screen-capture tutorials. The transfer of knowledge isn't working out that well. The problem is not just with queries. We need to get a list of contacts around the state of people who are doing what he does right now. We will need to revisit this situation.
Network/Server Administration
  1. Streaming video - plans in place.
  2. CNS virtualization to start this week, hopefully. Their upgrade is done. There is a large queue of other departments waiting to convert. SQLSK8 will be first.
  3. Managed database for UFDC configured. Winston and Mark to test and move managed hosting.
  4. Plan to manage Web slices this week.
  5. Final test backup: weekly vs. daily. Logan will recommend the estimated costs for UFDC and Archive.
Web Projects
  1. Both Web folk are out of the office today.
DLC General Issues
  1. Abby software is awaiting a home at CNS.
  2. JPEG2K - haven't started yet. Need to install test box.
Students and Department
  1. Spring Break is next week. Most of the students will be out, although Whitney may work some hours.