Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
February 22, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Bobbie has a contract on her parent's house.
  2. ID card replacement - there is a $15 charge. Staff can go to Library HR to obtain paperwork to have the fee waived, if it is determined to be malfunctioning due to normal wear and tear.
  3. Appraisals - submit items to Will, including goals. Make your goals correspond to the TSS goals for the Library. Will is going to send out a link to those goals, for reference.
Review Minutes of 02/15/10
  1. Ann #5 - remove line regarding evaluation deadline.
  2. Software # 3 - Staff Directory from database, not IPhone.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. Batteries for laptops - received in wet, damaged boxes, so they were returned. The next batch we received were the correct part number, but the amp is not correct. Will is going to contact Darren Gullen with GovConnection.
Relocation
  1. List of furniture sent to Fiscal Services. Programmer area is covered.
Hardware
  1. Public printing - All door locks have been installed. Everything else is on hold. No word from Pharos-Canon on scan to USB and duplexing. Sonia tried to place an order for toner on Friday. They wanted the page count for the machines. Gayle has emailed them asking why that info is necessary to order toner. Borland in Jacksonville now wants to start charging for copies. Bobbie forwarded that request to HSCL so they can be added to their server. USBs - Canon said all 32bit USBs should work. Bobbie needs a variety of brands to test.
  2. Antivirus - Torpig infections on the rise. Drastic increase campus-wide. Hardware Unit is testing McAfee apps. Active scans are all running. Testing site survey - McAfee plug-in that will warn people when they are visiting infected sites.
  3. Win 64 bit - all of DLC is going to install it themselves. They have volunteered for Win7 but not 64 bit. Mark is the exception. We roll 32 bit to staff, not 64 on original roll-out.
  4. Language Packs - on hold. OPAC & 620 West images updated.
  5. New JAVA version - E-Learning in Education will break. We have a written okay from Carol Whitmer & Marilyn Ochoa to install it. Michael Howell has the ticket. Will says to forward it to Ben Walker for approval before installation.
  6. Video Conferencing - integrators here last week. They pinched a cable in the rack, now the display is messed up. They are going to replace the cable. They will return on March 19 to finish the installation.
  7. Altiris - revised quote given to Grace. She needs two other quotes. Will cancel the old ticket and create a new one for the revised quote.
  8. Win7 proposal to Library Council - meeting was cancelled. Next month.
  9. Question on how to use Captivate - VIVO folks would know.
Software
  1. ARL Stats - still testing.
  2. IPhone apps - hours and computers completed.
  3. Mobile PAULA app - Chris has created and it is working.
  4. IPhone Staff Directory - ongoing.
  5. Macros - the way they are to be launched is going to be menu-driven. Baldwin macro awaiting user acceptance. Michael and Evan will get together regarding configuring macro settings for folks via Altiris.
  6. VIVO - People ready to drop into VIVO. 420 department numbers not in VIVO yet. Documentation almost complete for Net Admins. Stephen is documenting his work as much as possible.
  7. New TechNet subscription now available online.
  8. Working on a few Grover mods.
Network/Server Admin
  1. Streaming video - awaiting direction from Administration.
  2. First SQL slice this week at CNS. Next: Web, File servers. Will virtualize all websites including UFDC. Altiris may be able to help with user paths/shortcuts. File Server - will be offline for a weekend. Need to give folks a week advanced notice.
  3. SQL2K8 - need to move databases off 2K5 server. Must give CNS ACL info. Have to ask CNS about the ports. Need list of IPs of which servers need public or private.
  4. Backup testing - still working on costs for DLC.
ILS
  1. Jason was here last week and did some training.
Web Projects
  1. VT calendar done.
  2. Mobile app - interface will be done at close of business tomorrow.
  3. CMS - waiting for Logan to install WordPress.
  4. We won't be using SharePoint for the Web. We will use it for the Intranet.
Students and Department
  1. Students hired for summer will work on campus.