Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
February 15, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Michael Jay, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Josh Spurgin, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams
Announcements
  1. Will is going to be out the rest of the week.
  2. Bobbie got an offer on her Mom's house.
  3. SharePoint training - Microsoft website. Will put together a better list of training. Should be implemented between May-Auust.
  4. Appraisals - input needed: self appraisal and goals.
  5. TSS - Brian Keith spoke about overtime: non-exempt staff are authorized to get 1.5 hours for every extra hour worked. Has to be approved. Can be compensated in time or pay. Exempt employees do not earn compensation for overtime. Video conferencing was discussed. TSS goals: reorganize, renovate, relocate.
Review Minutes of 2/8/10
  1. Hardware #5: $120,000.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. Furniture list to Grace for new location. Winston asks if we've had any word from the architects regarding the software unit's area. Need to talk to Rob Roberts.
  2. Replacement computers - 205 out-of-warranty machines to be replaced - FCLA funds. There are another 150 items going out of warranty.
  3. Tapes - Got a list of tapes from MSL that can be removed - handful of TLA numbers. Will hold on to it for now and consolidate the list.
  4. Survey equipment is being moved out.
Hardware
  1. Public printing - 2/3 of the way through riveting the locks. Should be finished today. Scan to USB - requested resolution on Friday. No answer. Duplex: on hold. Scan to USB will not be resolved until the second quarter of this year. Machines down on Sunday - GatorOne problem. GatorOne does not have tech support, especially over the weekends, holiday or late night. That is problematic. Need to discuss.
  2. New anti-virus agent out. Artemis is running. We're getting used to interpreting the reports. Trish and Laurie are taking active roles. SUS is next.
  3. Language packs on hold.
  4. Video conferencing - meeting tomorrow. They will be back to install Feb. 19.
  5. Altiris - waiting for administration - last statement of work is ready to go. Installation codes received.
  6. Public computers - Sakai - no student apps could be used - would replace Blackboard. Would need the apps to be installed on machines. Readers are usually free. Need a list of read-only software. Sakai may not necessarily be a solution. Student Government survey sent to Leilani, Shelley and Barbara Hood and Rachel. Student Government wants to put a survey on our website. We've done it in the past, as long as Library West is okay with it.
  7. Time-limited workstations - proposal is in the hands of the West coordinators - including price quote.
  8. Win7 - not discussed yet at Library Council.
Software
  1. ARL Stats - test phase, a few mods, and then user demo.
  2. IPhone apps - meeting with Tom to finalize details. Projected completion of the display portion should be the end of the month. There is a question as to who will be updating the info - Misty? Unknown. Hours can be displayed by the end of the month.
  3. Shruti - working on the Staff Directory from database.
  4. Macros - testing Preservation. Waiting on user input.
  5. VIVO - all organization data entered and connected to UF Directory. There are some problems. It is also pulling grant data. Both should be documented and done by the end of the week.
  6. Michelle Foss - Circ Stats Merge Program - ran into some workflow issues - miscommunications. We're making changes. Should be done this morning.
  7. Spine label printing - FCLA created program - Chris met with Debbie Woodward this morning - nothing to be done.
  8. Places and Spaces - large monitor set up. No drives received with the monitors and software is missing. This project did not come through IT. It really needs to be coordinated through us. Michael Howell is working on it.
Network Server Administration
  1. Storage upgrade done. We're approved. SQL will be the first slice for UFDC - this week. Then we will roll into other VMS. Space for Web this week, then file server. Logan is working with Allen on a baseline price for Tivoli backup - mainly for DLC.
  2. DLC requested that we firewall their production server - blocking IP access. Logan is working on it.
ILS
  1. Nothing new.
  2. Jason gave Amy a log of his assignments last week. She will go through and review.
  3. Amy met with Jane Anne and reviewed the Cataloging side of ALEPH.
Web Projects
  1. VT calendar - done.
  2. Mobile apps - need to test.
  3. CMS - Logan to give us our own implementation of WordPress, then as soon as it is up and running - will work on template.
  4. Chastising email to Tom Minton - all announcements for the Library Web page will now be initiated by Barbara Hood.
DLC General Issues
  1. CNS OCR software just about done.
  2. Aware software received. Waiting to install.
  3. Streaming video - normal server admin. Need to figure out how we want to present it.