Accessibility Assistance

Skip to Content




Information Technology
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Suite 1250
2124 NE Waldo Rd
Gainesville, FL 32609

Telephone: (352) 273-2800
Fax: (352) 392-2354

Information Technology Staff Meeting Notes
February 8, 2010

Present: Shruti Bagri, Thomas Bielicke, Cynthia Bowker, Laurie Brennan, Will Chaney, Logan Clapp, Matthew Daley, Debra Fetzer, Winston Harris, Michael Howell, Bobbie Meng, Tom Minton, Chris Nicolich, Amy Polk, Patricia Ruwell, Mark Sullivan, Evan Wack, Stephen Williams

Guest: Rachel Schipper
Announcements
  1. Stephen Williams will be out Thursday and Friday.
  2. Stephen accepted a position with the College of Medicine as a VIVO programmer. His last day in IT will be February 25. They will create two positions to replace Stephen - one for the national site and one for the local site. Both are time-limited positions, as is Stephen's new one.
  3. Matthew Daley's soccer team won 10-0. Crushed them!
  4. Tom Minton beat Matthew Daley in the fantasy soccer league.
  5. Bobbie notes it was very cold on the beach at 4:15AM when the Shuttle launch was scrubbed.
  6. SharePoint Meeting - UFAD - they have a number of FAQ on their site (8 pages). We will be supporting it. We will be the point of contact for our organization. Campus MS Academy has 27 courses available for training. Will would like everyone to do training on their own, online. There is no announced date of roll-out. Probably in at least six weeks, although there is no set date. In your spare time, please get yourself trained.
  7. Junk mail notification - the fix in the email sent out of UF Exchange is causing more email to go into the junk mail folder.
  8. Grover documentation - need to put it somewhere so that it is available to everyone.
Review Minutes of 02/02/10
  1. Announcements #2 - field, not filed.
  2. Software #2 - room reservation app on hold, not cancelled.
  3. Software #8 - VIVO v.9.
Ongoing IT Updates

Orders
  1. FCLA equipment orders - laptop and public computers for West. Will is trying to expedite the FCLA-funded orders.
Relocation
  1. Pricing for furniture - Grace is working on it with Betsy and Steve in regards to the Acquisition move - Will should talk to her now.
  2. Tom Minton asks if there is a floor plan for the new building available - yes: see Will.
  3. Budget is currently being worked on - need to know the wish list lines to be added for IT. It will be prioritized. Also need a replacement list for staff members leaving in the next fiscal year. Need position justification. Virtualizing servers - need to redirect some people - we currently don't have funding. We are still looking at potential budget cuts for fiscal year 2010-2011.
Hardware
  1. Public Printing - we had a printer down on Thursday and attempted to make a service call. Canon told us we did not have a maintenance contract and would be charged. We informed Fiscal Services of the issue. Finally, on Friday, a tech was dispatched to look at the machine. Gayle from Purchasing followed up with an email to Canon regarding the fact that they weren't following the established response timeline. The scan to USB has been tabled and duplexing can't happen until scan to USB issue is resolved. The scan to USB issue will require a total rewrite and won't be released until the second quarter. The time delay after the initial copy - Bobbie has been working on conference calls to resolve. Drawer locks should be getting riveted on this week. Bobbie will send out an email to departments to give them a heads up. Gayle from Purchasing is staying on top of all these issues.
  2. Small virus outbreak in East was purged last week. We contained it to seven machines. We are testing a new McAfee agent version. Artemis has a direct pipe to the lab. It will cause some false positives. Win7 does not report.
  3. Language packs on the public image - errors on the East Asian.
  4. Video conferencing - finished negotiations. Should have installation date soon - dependent upon Room 1A bookings.
  5. Altiris - Evan has been on conference calls with the integrators. Statement of work has been received. Total: $12,000 without virtualization.
  6. Public machines - ReturnIL too pricey - will go with group policy with admin rights removed. Won't implement that until summer semester. We have a list of software we currently have on the public machines as well as a list the Circa has available for patrons. We should also consult with Student Government.
  7. Newell Hall - what will be available - Judy wants CAD/CAM and envisions Altiris will help with wandering licenses. We have a meeting at 11:15AM tomorrow to walk through the Newell Hall site. Altiris won't work with Steady State. Neither will SMS. Sakai - info group - contact would be Marilyn Ochoa.
  8. Win7 - spoke with Altiris folks - instead of training, we will migrate departments to Win7. Need some volunteers. Mark nominates DLC. We would like to have that in writing (email). We should address the migration to Win7 in the next Library Council meeting. Altiris does a personality capture - we should not have to re-add the printers. Will wait for the summer to upgrade the public computers to Win7. Newly ordered machines for West public will stay XP.
  9. Time-limited workstations - West only. We are determining if and how, and then we need to get Director approval.
Software
  1. IPhone apps - Chris and Shruti put together a cool system - AJAX inserted into HTML pages - queries database. Will demo to Tom and Matthew.
  2. Shruti is working on the Staff Directory IPhone app.
  3. Macros - ongoing. Demoed the Preservation macro last week. Christy Shorey uses it for thesis work. Michael did a good job of capturing at least 100 steps.
  4. ARL HR project - can be moved to pending.
  5. ARL Stats - program Michael started is now being worked on by Tom Bielicke, for Steve Carrico. They are entering test data. Ongoing.
  6. VIVO - DSR data feed and one time pull of PeopleSoft data. Stephen is meeting with Christine Schoaff regarding UF phonebook entries. UF ID card pictures will be ingested. Two servers are up and running VIVO .9. We are trying to install Drupal. We have to input department structure by hand. There is no department structure in PeopleSoft, per Warren Curry. Rachel suggests looking at RCM. Logan recommends the new hires for Stephen's position should be IT folk. Need to have server-side experience. Rachel suggests that Stephen send an email outlining the position duties. Library HR will not be doing the hiring.
  7. ITS - done.
  8. New request from Michelle Foss, for her mini-grant - merging files. She had a huge file that surpassed the upload limit. One day per month, we are increasing it From 1MB to 10MB. It is called the CircStats Merge Program.
Network/Server Administration
  1. Meeting today at CNS to discuss the backup policy for DLC.
  2. DLC meeting Friday - discussed where to put the UFDC database. Will move to managed SQL hosting. We'll be moving the DLC Web portion to manage the Web at the same time.
  3. UFDC backup will be done incrementally and monthly, to see if that helps with storage.
  4. Video Streaming - no timeframe, but we do have ideas for the server. Budget included in the $9000 quote, may add an additional $500 for server software.
  5. Regular Web - will be one of the first things to move to virtual. Path to shares and staff access to shares will change. Timeframe will probably be within the next two weeks. Web File Server will be the most complicated. Need to send notification to departments when files will be moved.
ILS
  1. Amy met with Paul Lightcap to learn ALEPH from an Acquisitions standpoint. She will meet with Jane Anne tomorrow to learn the Cataloging side.
  2. Jason is giving Amy instruction so she can come up to speed on his job functions. Cliff Richmond may also be involved, in case Jason's position is not filled.
Web Projects
  1. IPhone framework - icons on opening screens. Waiting for programmers. They say it's ready to go. Will start testing ASAP.
  2. Branded the VT calendar with the Library brand. Waiting for the data to be populated. Logan needs to know when it is going live. Logan has a ticket and is awaiting response from Jay Wiese.
  3. Modified the test catalog. Tested Morae software and it works. Observer client software request - Tom to email Sarah with IP address so other universities can observe remotely.
  4. Intranet - SharePoint.
  5. CMS - no work on the template this week.
DLC General Issues
  1. Need space for Abbey license key.
  2. JPG2K - Aware software will require TomCat or Apache. May need to do a virtual server.
  3. Streaming video - working on it this week.